Aerial Conduit Between Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm asked to construct a project to run low voltage and fiber optic cable between two buildings connecting through an aerial conduit. The gap is about 6'. I can't find anything in the NEC to tell me if connecting buildings in this way is an OK installation. The install is in Texas. Does anybody know? If you could point me to the governing section of the NEC, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Aerial conduit?? If you mean up the outside of one building, across a 6' alley and down the side of the adjacent building I see no problem as long as the conduit is supported properly for that 6 feet for the size and type of conduit you intend to use. Nothing in the NEC would govern this.

-Hal

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The "gap" may need to be considered a structural joint under 300.4(H)...
(H) Structural Joints. A listed expansion/deflection fitting
or other approved means shall be used where a raceway
crosses a structural joint intended for expansion, contraction
or deflection, used in buildings, bridges, parking garages,
or other structures.

Thank you for the question Hal. I should have been more clear. The conduit will be running through one building, out a core, across a 6' gap, through a core into and through the second building. It's weird. We would normally go down and up each wall with buried conduit. But they won't let us cut the concrete. Plus these are very large buildings so the building footings will be huge.

to Smart $. I think your NEC clause 300.4 (H) is the correct governing section. Although I have never heard of an expansion / deflection fitting, it makes sense. I'm checking with our distributor for those parts. Thank you for your help.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The "gap" may need to be considered a structural joint under 300.4(H)...

From what the OP is saying I can't see that as being an issue. Those buildings aren't going to move unless they are in an earthquake zone. This is really no different than a long sleeve through two partitions inside a building. I would use a stick of 4" RGS and shove it through. The only thing I might be concerned about is firestopping each end.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.