Supporting Lay-In Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Had an interesting visit with the Port Authority inspectors yesterday. I was there for fire alarm, but they provisionally gigged the new LED 2 x 2's for not having two wires independently supporting the fixtures from the building structure. Since my office had spec'd the fixtures, after I got back I went on a tour through the IBC at section 808 and kind of hit a dead end since we don't have a copy of ANSI C635/636. What it appears to me is that it's about the weight of the fixture, the seismic zone, and whether the ceiling grid is light, medium, or heavy-duty. The fixtures are 20 lbs a piece, but I don't have any of the other information (that's the architect's baliwick). What has been your experience regarding independent support for fixtures?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is being used to hold up the grid? With black iron and pencil rod we never independently support fixtures we just fasten them to the grid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Never see that pencil rod stuff down here for drop ceilings.

What do you do if it is regular #12 ceiling wire?

Don't know have never seen it. I'm guessing that the building code requires the rod and iron support method.

jumper

Don't know have never seen it. I'm guessing that the building code requires the rod and iron support method.

Cannot find it in your NJ code. Thinking that is just the way y'all do it up there. Maybe a common plan spec? IDK.

It must be a time saver for installing lay in lights.:thumbsup:

It is a real PITA when we have put in our own wires. We use a piece of EMT that we make a "claw/hook" on the end to twist the wires onto the bar joists.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cannot find it in your NJ code. Thinking that is just the way y'all do it up there. Maybe a common plan spec? IDK.

It must be a time saver for installing lay in lights.:thumbsup:

It is a real PITA when we have put in our own wires. We use a piece of EMT that we make a "claw/hook" on the end to twist the wires onto the bar joists.

I'm referring to NYC. The OP mentioned the Port Authority but they have their own code so anything is possible.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What is being used to hold up the grid? With black iron and pencil rod we never independently support fixtures we just fasten them to the grid.

Actually that is the grid support. First time I've ever seen it. This was supposed to be a "refresh" with minimal specs and drawings, so the original conditions weren't well documented. Pretty much undocumented. I don't know what difference that construction method would make as I couldn't find an example in any contemporary manufacturer's literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.