Per code, does Low Voltage Require Bushings While Going Through Metal Studs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghurty

Per code, does Low Voltage require bushings while going through metal studs?
We are dealing with cat5e being using for Networks as well as Coax TV cables.
I know that it is good practice to do it, but what about after it was ran already. As per code would it need to be rectified?

Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a question for you to think about. where in article 725 does it say you have to put a bushing in a metal stud to run Class 2 circuit in?

Another question I have for you is why do you think it is a good practice? I'm not saying it is or is not but why do you think it is?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Purpose of the NEC is protection against fire a shock. a damaged cat 5e cable will not shock or start a fire, but installing a snap in bushing may prevent you from loosing jobs, IE once that cable is damaged, and has to be replaced....

ghurty

Long story short, a LV contractor left a job and we were asked to finished up.Roughing was complete already. Inspector came, saw that going through the metal studs into the open walls there were no bushings. He wants them added. No big deal. However, he also wants the contractor to open up the already sheetrocked ceiling to verify that there are bushings were ever needed.The contractor says that in the ceiling the wires were never pulled through any holes. And is willing to show pictures. The inspector says the pictures are not good enough, he wants it opened (5k sqft building). If we can show that really it isnt required according to code, then maybe the inspector will accept pictures instead (hopefully)

JFletcher

Pulling catx or coax thru metal stud w/o bushings is bad practice. He may get you on 820.24 for the coax. I may very well be confusing TDMM standards with NEC.

If the conductors werent damaged in the initial pull, I dont see how they'd be damaged sitting inside metal studs. I know that wood studs do not require bushings for 770/800/820 installs, not sure about metal. Ask for a specific code section violation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pulling catx or coax thru metal stud w/o bushings is bad practice. He may get you on 820.24 for the coax. I may very well be confusing TDMM standards with NEC.

If the conductors werent damaged in the initial pull, I dont see how they'd be damaged sitting inside metal studs. I know that wood studs do not require bushings for 770/800/820 installs, not sure about metal. Ask for a specific code section violation.

it is unlikely that article 820 applies at all. catv systems are not real common these days.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Long story short, a LV contractor left a job and we were asked to finished up.Roughing was complete already. Inspector came, saw that going through the metal studs into the open walls there were no bushings. He wants them added. No big deal. However, he also wants the contractor to open up the already sheetrocked ceiling to verify that there are bushings were ever needed.The contractor says that in the ceiling the wires were never pulled through any holes. And is willing to show pictures. The inspector says the pictures are not good enough, he wants it opened (5k sqft building). If we can show that really it isnt required according to code, then maybe the inspector will accept pictures instead (hopefully)

if it is not required why would he need to see pictures showing it was not done. I think the inspector needs to cite chapter and verse as to what part of the code requires it.

luckylerado

800.24 may be where someone could misinterpret the need for bushings as it points to 300.4(D).

The argument that I would put forward is that "Chapter 8 covers communications systems and is not subject to the requirements of Chapters 1 through 7 except where the requirements are specifically referenced in Chapter 8." <Straight out of 90.3>, and therefore since 800.24 does not specifically reference 300.4(B)(1) <this is where grommets are required for metal studs> and these cables are perpendicular and not parallel <300.4(D)> then grommets are not required by the NEC.

That said, if there is going to be damage, it will come from the insulator.

Holop

It's a good practice to install bushings where ever wires will be fished or pulled through. For low voltage whenever you exit out a conduit I think I've seen insulating bushing almost most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.