GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

I was listening to one of those home improvement shows and a question was about the residential refrigerator tripping the circuit breaker. The host said that in the 2008 code, GFCI protection was required. Am I missing something?

WorkSafe

No. Only GFCI'd receptacles that are required in the kitchen are the ones serving the coutertop. A fridge recpt. does not serve a countertop.

Hendrix

I was listening to one of those home improvement shows and a question was about the residential refrigerator tripping the circuit breaker. The host said that in the 2008 code, GFCI protection was required. Am I missing something?

The host is wrong there is an exception for refrigerators. 210.52 (B)(1)

Last edited:

Hendrix

If the fridge is within 6' of a sink, I think it needs it.

Nope, it does not unless the receptacle is on top of the counter and the refridge is plugged into it. If it is in back of the fridge and has a single receptacle it's good to go. In a comercial app. it would need it.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Since the OP did not specifically state the refrigerator was in the kitchen there is no way to answer the question. It might be in the basement, garage or within 6' of a laundry, wet bar or utility sink.

electricmanscott

The host is wrong there is an exception for refrigerators. 210.52 (B)(1)

What does this have to do with GFCI protection? :confused:

The fridge circuit may also serve the counter top.

That's true. Still has nothing to do with requiring GFCI protection of a fridge outlet.

Nope, it does not unless the receptacle is on top of the counter and the refridge is plugged into it. If it is in back of the fridge and has a single receptacle it's good to go.

There is no need or requirement for a fridge to have a single receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think we have 2 issues here. If it is a kitchen and the recep. is not serving the countertop then it does not need gfci protection. If this is not a kitchen then any recep. within 6' of the sink needs gfci protection.

480sparky

the only book i have within my reach is 02' and 210.8 (a) (7) says "receptacles to serve countertop".

What code cycle are you speaking of?

'08 .

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
(7) Laundry, utility, and wet bar sinks — where the receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.