What is 'accessible'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is probably open for an AHJ interpetation. There were these funiture partions installed (the type that have the power in them). They are just work stations for peoples computers. This is the issue, the j box where the flex goes to hook up the power is 'block' by a section of the partition.

In order to get to the box, one would have to actually 'disassemble' part of the partition and move them to get to it for any reason.

Now I know the 'definitions' are in NEC 2008 100 that says of capable of being 'removed' or exposed without damaging the building ......

But in my opinion this is not 'accessible' and an electrician should not have to dissemble/move funiture partitions to get to it. Another electrician tells me that technically its not a code violation because of the way its worded in the NEC.

What is your opinion??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Feed boxes are installed behind those panels very often. Just because disassembly is difficult or time consuming that doesn't make it a violation.

mcclary's electrical

If tools needed to gain access are saws, grinders, jack hammers, torches, or similar vs. screwdrivers, wrenches, or even a key then it is usually not accessable.

I don't agree with that. It's not the tool that you use that determines it,,,,,,,but rather what you are taking apart. In this case, it's furniture, not the building or building finish

And a key and lock do not compare to disaasemmbling the building

Jim W in Tampa

Other than a lot of time i see no violation. If you have a receptacle behind a water bed or a 1,000 pound home entertainment center what would you do. I been on many jobs that getting to the box is anything but easy.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't agree with that. It's not the tool that you use that determines it,,,,,,,but rather what you are taking apart. In this case, it's furniture, not the building or building finish

And a key and lock do not compare to disaasemmbling the building

I agree with it is not necessarily the tool used, but in most cases if you need destructive type tools like saws, grinders, jack hammers, torches then you are probably destroying part of the building finish to gain access. If you only need screwdrivers, wrenches, or even a key then what ever you are trying to access was most likely designed to access and then, easily (maybe the wrong word at times) be covered again.

If you are taking furniture apart and you need a recriprocating saw or acetelyne torch to get it apart because there was no mechanical fasteners to remove to allow access then I would say it was not designed to be taken apart. Anything can be accessible with the right tool but covering it up again without having any indication of prior access is a sign of it being accessible.

A key and padlock are no different than a bolt, nut, and pair of wrenches but are more tamper resistant.

We commonly use screws to hold a panel or junction box cover on, how easy would it be to remove these covers with a screwdriver if they were welded on? That would not be considered accessible.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I agree with it is not necessarily the tool used, but in most cases if you need destructive type tools like saws, grinders, jack hammers, torches then you are probably destroying part of the building finish to gain access. If you only need screwdrivers, wrenches, or even a key then what ever you are trying to access was most likely designed to access and then, easily (maybe the wrong word at times) be covered again.

If you are taking furniture apart and you need a recriprocating saw or acetelyne torch to get it apart because there was no mechanical fasteners to remove to allow access then I would say it was not designed to be taken apart. Anything can be accessible with the right tool but covering it up again without having any indication of prior access is a sign of it being accessible.

A key and padlock are no different than a bolt, nut, and pair of wrenches but are more tamper resistant.

We commonly use screws to hold a panel or junction box cover on, how easy would it be to remove these covers with a screwdriver if they were welded on? That would not be considered accessible.

You made no mention to Blown in Fiberglass Insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.