Separation of branches for Article 701 circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

700.10(B)5 requires that Emergency be separated from all other branches. The NECH shows as an example E separated from LRS (legally required standby) and separated from OS (Optional Standby). So 700, 701 and 702 are all isolated from each other.

I have a situation where my generator will have LRS and OS. Emergency in this particular building is going to be via Emergency Battery Units as sanctioned by the inspector. I don't see that Article 701 has anything similar to 700.10(B)5 and therefore would conclude that I can use a distribution panelboard for my 701 and 702 circuit breakers. i.e. I don't need the isolation I would need if I had an Article 700 ATS.

Do you agree?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
700.10(B)5 requires that Emergency be separated from all other branches. The NECH shows as an example E separated from LRS (legally required standby) and separated from OS (Optional Standby). So 700, 701 and 702 are all isolated from each other.

I have a situation where my generator will have LRS and OS. Emergency in this particular building is going to be via Emergency Battery Units as sanctioned by the inspector. I don't see that Article 701 has anything similar to 700.10(B)5 and therefore would conclude that I can use a distribution panelboard for my 701 and 702 circuit breakers. i.e. I don't need the isolation I would need if I had an Article 700 ATS.

Do you agree?

Generally, yes. But keep in mind that the 701 system will have some other requirements that the 702 system will not. For example, the 701 system will have to be selectively coordinated and you will have to see how you 702 system will work within those requirements. Another example would be that OCPD have to be accessible to authorized personnel only, possible GFP requirements will differ, etc.

mshields

thanks

thanks

Yes - those are good warnings. The ATS will actually be in a 1 hour rated room along with DP on it's output. And yes, I've got the 0.01 thing covered.

Thanks,

Mike

mshields

not COPS

not COPS

I'm actually handling the Emergency lighting and fire alarm with EBU's and battery backup respectively. Have coordinated with the inspector on the approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.