Two family service question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

An existing two family with 100 a seu drop to through, to two meters, to two panels.

Looks like someone swapped out the original maybe fuses or 60 amp panels ??? to two 100amp panels.

A REAL mess.

I was asked for a number. Not as to try and save this mess I will just offer to put up a new service.

Question.

for two 100 amp panels, the device drop would need to be rated for 200 amps (no 83%)
from the through thru the 2 meters to the each 100 amp panel the conductors can be rated for 83 amps.

In a two family house.. and the owner of the house lives in one of the units, it can be set up with two tenant meters and panels. If there is a landlord living off premises then there has to be a house meter and panel.

IS ALL OF THE ABOVE CORRECT ?

If so, In this situation, how do I show the owner would be living in one of the units to only put in two meters?
How do you prove the owner will not move and rent??
Do you just put three meters in (and panels) and call it a day??

ALSO :

With the two 100 amp panels for the two families. The drop would then be 200 amp.
IF the house panel is needed to be installed, lets say a 60 amp, would the drop then need to be rated for 260 amps? Or is it permissible to bug into a 200 amp drop?

This house was supposed to be closed on today, but the inspector would not give the certificated of occupancy because three breakers were turned off and the inspector wanted an electrician to turn them on..
Circuit wiring aside (which is atrocious) , the panels are a mess and I to did not turn them on.. :- )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe you can size the drop for the calculated load but if you want each home to have a full 100 amp capacity then you would need to use conductors for 200 amps in the riser. I don't believe you can use the 83% for the riser conductors

ritelec

rephrasing:

One 200 amp service with two 100 amp tenant panels and 60 amp sub panel,
What would the conductor sizing be?

load calculation for entire house for service drop. conductors @ 100%
load calculation for each dwelling. conductors at 83%

House panel ???? it's not a dwelling but in a dwelling.... 100% or 83%

thank you

ritelec

I believe you can size the drop for the calculated load but if you want each home to have a full 100 amp capacity then you would need to use conductors for 200 amps in the riser. I don't believe you can use the 83% for the riser conductors

I believe your correct... the drop (riser) has to be at 100%

but I think each dwellings conductors can drop back down to the 83% like the old chart.

house panel conductor rating?

thanks Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.