Little Romex Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
johnsrig.jpg

Four 12-2 NM home runs are routed through a series of holes continuously for ten feet (as in, along the blue line in this diagram).

What is the maximum breaker size I can connect these circuits to?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
depends on what the load is :) HVAC, motors, or just general purpose circuits.
For circuits not coverd by 240.4(G), I would say a 20 amp. I don't see where you have introduced any enviornment where derating would effect you to a point of reducing the ampacity.
One more Romex and the story might change.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where I am the inspectors say a series of holes is bundling, but with four 12-2s' I would be allowed to use a 20 amp breaker.
I agree but many inspectors would not consider this bundling and in this case it doesn't matter with the derating at 70%.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree, since it's George asking.
I too am waiting on the other shoe to drop :grin:

Jim W in Tampa

Derating here is no issue. Now if i run 5 thru holes we might have issues. Just exactly where do we begin saying BUNDLING ? I am curious just where inspectors draw the line and how do you back it up with code ? What does it take to not be bundling ? 1/4 inch, 1/2, 1 ?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
depends on what the load is :) HVAC, motors, or just general purpose circuits.
For circuits not coverd by 240.4(G), I would say a 20 amp. I don't see where you have introduced any enviornment where derating would effect you to a point of reducing the ampacity.
One more Romex and the story might change.

I agree, but wonder what George has up his sleeve. ;)

kwired

Electron manager
Do you feel that Stack-Its are a viable means to avoid bundling when running down a stud?

The type that maintain a space between cables have avoided bundling for you. If you are using stacking type staples then you still have the cables effectively bundled together

Status
Not open for further replies.