Skills Assessment/Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone out there is doing "new hire" skill assessments via hands-on and plan reading testing for Journeyman (in locales where licenses or certifications are required or not required) to weed out the lackluster or incompetent. If anyone is I'd like to know if you have a resource contact for a SME (subject matter expert) who can review a skill assessment that we created and are thinking about using.
:cool:

jumper

Actually I am helping my boss do that now, we have a new hire that is supposed to have JW skills or close and we are seeking to hire a person that has a masters card. If you are interested I will PM my email address

CDELECT

We only hire someone, that had either completed the 5 year labor department electrical program or will enroll in the program, we are not about to try to reinvent the wheel

Last edited:

krisinjersey

Part of the process

Part of the process

I stitched together a quiz out of my exam prep materials to get a feel for what the applicant knows. I also put in some practical application questions relating to conduit bending, code application, lighting layout, theory and how to troubleshoot. I'd love to add a small room drawing and put few questions relating to the electricals on the drawing. If you want I can email you the test we're using. The applicant brings their resume, fills out the application, and takes the quiz. The entire process takes about an hour and a half including the interview. We grade the quiz and the person conducting the interview has the quiz and score in hand. He can see strengths and weaknesses right off.
As for practical application of skills in the field (the ability to run a conduit from point "A" to point "B" or hang a disconnect at height and level) that is done in work conditions and evaluated by the field supervisor. You know within 2 days if a guy has it or not. If he doesn't the field supervisor calls the shop and arranges for the final paycheck to be processed and he's let go at the end of the day. Magic number here is 90 days. If you make it that long you'll make it 10 years.

satcom

I was wondering if anyone out there is doing "new hire" skill assessments via hands-on and plan reading testing for Journeyman (in locales where licenses or certifications are required or not required) to weed out the lackluster or incompetent. If anyone is I'd like to know if you have a resource contact for a SME (subject matter expert) who can review a skill assessment that we created and are thinking about using.
:cool:

It is easy to find the qualified, hire the guys that have completed the labor department program or enroll them in a 4 year labor department program at any vo tech school, we never had a need to assess anyone, they either have the training or they don't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.