GFCI Not Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouse

I am studying for my master test. Can anyone tell me where in the code to find were GFCI recps are not required?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am studying for my master test. Can anyone tell me where in the code to find were GFCI recps are not required?

The NEC tells you were they are required and not where they aren't required. Article 210.8 has most of the requirements. I believe there are a few here and there throughout the code. For instance-- pool lights and motors, etc.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pretty much everywhere not listed in Chapter 2.

Actually GFCI receptacles are not required in chapter 2 however, they are in certain locations covered in another article?

Roger

Rouse

Actually to be more specific I remember a question that was someting like: Where are gfci recps not required? Circle 3 answers out of five. I only remember 2 or 3 not sure if they are right. The first being if there is a single recp.? The second being a fridge recp.? And the there being a piece of equipment in and unfinished basement not easily moved? Its been a few months since I took the test. But If you read 210.8 that could be interpreted as just about every recp. that is not in the arc fault section or am I wrong? Do any of these answers sound correct?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Well if thats the point then GFCI "receptacles" are not required anywhere in the NEC?:confused:
They are required by the NEC, but not by the rules in Chapter 2. I believe that only rule that requires a GFCI receptacle is found in Chapter 6.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
They are required by the NEC, but not by the rules in Chapter 2. I believe that only rule that requires a GFCI receptacle is found in Chapter 6.

OK AFTER THE WHISKY AND CHOCLATE MILK are talking about Article 600.10(2):-?

Last edited:

hurk27

Ok found the code Don was talking about, 620.85 in the elevator pit, the machine room can have the breaker though, it doesn't make sense why a GFCI breaker can not be used in Lieu of the receptacle but it does require the receptacle version?:confused:

As for the OP question as worded, the only place in the NEC that I can find that specifically says not to use a GFCI, is 210.8(A)(5) exception.

ok I'm done searching for a while lol:D

Last edited:

Rouse

Can you take a look at post #12 and let me know what you think maybe that explains what I am looking for a little better. Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok found the code Don was talking about, 620.85 in the elevator pit, the machine room can have the breaker though, it doesn't make sense why a GFCI breaker can not be used in Lieu of the receptacle but it does require the receptacle version?:confused:

The top of the cab also requires a GFCI receptacle.

Roger

jumper

Actually to be more specific I remember a question that was someting like: Where are gfci recps not required? Circle 3 answers out of five. I only remember 2 or 3 not sure if they are right. The first being if there is a single recp.? The second being a fridge recp.? And the there being a piece of equipment in and unfinished basement not easily moved? Its been a few months since I took the test. But If you read 210.8 that could be interpreted as just about every recp. that is not in the arc fault section or am I wrong? Do any of these answers sound correct?

Can you take a look at post #12 and let me know what you think maybe that explains what I am looking for a little better. Thanks

Are you on 2005 or 2008? Some of the exceptions are gone in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.