2011 PDF Survey

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

2011 PDF Survey

• Nope. Navigation is too difficult or just a waste of time.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes, I do.

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Not yet, but have been considering it.

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

This may have been mentioned already because I know i have seen the subject of new code books and the free pdf download, which I am in the process of submitting, but I thought it was worth noting that Mike Holt's Forum was given as one of the options when asked what types of online materials you use. Way to go forum! :D

I am also including a poll to see how many people do you use or are looking at using electronic methods of code use. One of the reasons I bought the Droid X phone I have is because of the large screen potential of using pdfs more and having pocket versions of what I need. How many times have I wanted my code book with me but it was in my truck or our shop and not readily accessible :roll:. Just curious. Is it staying with the times or just geekdom over the top. :)

It is 'staying with the times'.

There are a couple of nice features that come with the computerized version, maybe not necessary for all though.

1. It is highly searchable and very quick in accessing multiple areas of the code that one does not reference on a regular basis.

2. Cut and paste, for whatever reason one is cutting and pasting, saves a ton of time.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
. . . Is it staying with the times or just geekdom over the top. :)
I'd say it's both. Heck, just being here, taking part in discussions of the Code and related topics is a certain indicator, to me, of rampant geekhood.

I've used the electronic Handbook for four cycles, now, which has included a simple PDF of the NEC, on the disk, each version. They have been handy to have on my phone.

I regret that the free download of the 2011 requires a companion decoder to view the file, and that decoder is not available for Windows Mobile. My HTC Touch Pro 2 running Windows Mobile 6.5 and Adobe Reader LE 2.5 refuses to open the 2011 NEC PDF.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, my firm used to have a subscription to the NFPA CD's. Each CD would have about 1000 NFPA codes and standards. I guess NFPA isn't making those CD's anymore since everyone says the NEC CD is no more.
Of course, a PDF or a CD is much better for searching for a term or phrase.

But most often I perfer a printed book - its much faster to open and get to the right page. Especially if you know exactly what you are looking for.

lakee911

What is your poll even asking? :confused:

Do you use electronic methods of code usage.

Do you mean to ask, "Do I use an electronic version of the code?"

When I know exactly what I'm looking for or I'm not at a computer, I turn to the book. When I don't know what I'm looking for and I need to search or I need to copy a section for pasting else where, I'll use the electronic version.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I voted "yes," but, with a mention that we're still on the '05 NEC, which we have on all three of our computers (2 towers and one laptop.)

I voted yes also. This is my first pdf and handbook (08). I do find the book easier to navigate when im looking for a section im familiar with. Example, if i type in 310.16 in my search engine it puts me all over the place. Usually the index.

360Youth

I have tried downloading to my Droid but it will not. I called their service desk and the best we could come up with is the server does not recognize the phone as a legitimate cpu. I need to figure out how to get download default location from sd card. Maybe it sees the sd card and won't allow the download to continue since it could be potentially transferable. Who knows. I have a week to figure it out before I lose the download from the NFPA website.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
. . . the server does not recognize the phone as a legitimate cpu.
That makes sense. I'll bet it's tied into the agreement with the third party decoder license the NFPA has set up for encrypting that PDF of the NEC.

Download to file first on a laptop or desktop PC. Make a copy of the download and store it somewhere else on the computer, for use on another computer. Create this additional copy before you open the PDF for the first time.

Then open the first PDF and do the download and install of the third party decoder.

The decoder is the problem. It only runs on certain OSs. As I said above in Post #3, I can't get a decoder for Windows Mobile (my smartphone).

360Youth

That makes sense. I'll bet it's tied into the agreement with the third party decoder license the NFPA has set up for encrypting that PDF of the NEC.

Download to file first on a laptop or desktop PC. Make a copy of the download and store it somewhere else on the computer, for use on another computer. Create this additional copy before you open the PDF for the first time.

Then open the first PDF and do the download and install of the third party decoder.

The decoder is the problem. It only runs on certain OSs. As I said above in Post #3, I can't get a decoder for Windows Mobile (my smartphone).

Just talked to service dept again and she essentially told me that to use the file on the phone would be a violation of their license. I managed to qet the pdf onto my phone but Adobe reader would not open it and the file reader add-on is not compatible with Android OS. My QuickOffice program got me a little further but siad the file was protected by a password and that is when I called tech support and got their, "Nope, ain't gonna do it" response. Oh well. I think it is pretty lame. Would have been nice to have pocket access to code when I needed it. I may try another time and hope for a different operator.

Betcha it will work on Windows Phone 7. :grin:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
. . . I called tech support and got their, "Nope, ain't gonna do it" response. Oh well. I think it is pretty lame. Would have been nice to have pocket access to code when I needed it.
I couldn't agree more.

Not being able to use this PDF of the NEC on a smartphone is just plain stupid.

When I filled out the survey, in order to get the PDF download, I made it a point to tell them that a PDF attached like this to EVERY copy of the Code was a good thing and that I needed it on my smartphone. And I even signed my statement. In my mind this is a "fair use" of the copyrighted material. I essentially only use one copy at a time. I'm the only one using the copy, the format is the limitation.

The fine point of the letter of the law may not support me, but not being able to use multiple formats off of one purchase of the copyrighted material is the "new wave" IMO.

P.S. I look forward to learning about Mobile 7 :)

360Youth

In my mind this is a "fair use" of the copyrighted material. I essentially only use one copy at a time. I'm the only one using the copy, the format is the limitation.

The fine point of the letter of the law may not support me, but not being able to use multiple formats off of one purchase of the copyrighted material is the "new wave" IMO.

I have no problem with the restrictions they put on the number of times it can be downloaded and the guarding of reproduction, but to not allow on a smartphone seems unreasonable. There is probably a password that will let me use it. I think the phone may have fond a backdoor, she was unwilling to go down that road to make it accessible.

dana1028

It is 'staying with the times'.

There are a couple of nice features that come with the computerized version, maybe not necessary for all though.

1. It is highly searchable and very quick in accessing multiple areas of the code that one does not reference on a regular basis.

2. Cut and paste, for whatever reason one is cutting and pasting, saves a ton of time.

All of the above. I use the printed version almost exclusively...for searching, reading, referencing.

I use the .pdf for searching code sections I am clueless about...i.e. I've looked and can't find any other way.

As an inspector, the .pdf is great....I have a portable printer and can print out the relevent code section for contractors on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.