Leviton switcH, 1286-W, DPTH Center off. Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

Someone was asking me about this switch... I don't have experience with it. The wiring diagram on the website makes me think it's to control two coils, maybe interlock one opposed to the other?

Can someone that knows about this switch give me some insight as to what it is generally used for...

http://www.leviton.com/en/products/1286-W

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gar

Occupation
EE
171007-2434 EDT

If you really have a SPDT nonshorting spring return to center switch, then as an example it could be used to control GE RR relays. Your link won't work on my system.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
171007-2434 EDT

If you really have a SPDT nonshorting spring return to center switch, then as an example it could be used to control GE RR relays. Your link won't work on my system.

But this switch appears not to be spring loaded return to center in terms of the contact array.
It is not clear to me whether the handle returns to center or not, but the contact on the side selected seems to be maintained until the switch is thrown the other way.
Possibly used for latching selection of up or down for a projector screen or the like, with travel stopped by limit switches instead of release of the switch for one example.

sw_ross

Maybe a simpler switch?...

Maybe a simpler switch?...

It's a double throw non momentary switch. Push up = on. Centre = off. Push down = other on. Walk away = whatever position it was when you left.

That sounds like what the person is looking for, maybe...

My understanding of what the person needs is;
Sounds like it's for an "Entrance Station", where there is a red light and a yellow light. They need to be able to have a 3-position switch, where up is one color, down is another color, and center is off.

I was thinking maybe this is more involved than what is needed...
Is there a 3-position switch that is single pole to the up and/or down positions? Where down is red and up is yellow and center is off?

Thanks!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's a double throw non momentary switch. Push up = on. Centre = off. Push down = other on. Walk away = whatever position it was when you left.

Yup, says it right on the page in the link. ;)

[h=2]Item Description[/h]20 Amp, 120/277 Volt, Toggle Double-Throw Ctr-OFF Maintained Contact Double-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Spec Grade, Grounding, Back & Side Wired, - White

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That sounds like what the person is looking for, maybe...

My understanding of what the person needs is;
Sounds like it's for an "Entrance Station", where there is a red light and a yellow light. They need to be able to have a 3-position switch, where up is one color, down is another color, and center is off.

I was thinking maybe this is more involved than what is needed...
Is there a 3-position switch that is single pole to the up and/or down positions? Where down is red and up is yellow and center is off?

Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by "down is red yellow is up". But you could use this switch as a single pole. You could put phase tape (red/yellow) at the up/down position to indicate what each does.
Or if you haven't bought it yet just get a SPDT switch w/center off. They make them in a toggle version.

This is a DP but you can get a SP.

02750038_00_1fb1844d-2ed9-4f40-a71d-1a5a7b3d5e70_grande.jpg

480sparky

The wiring diagram shows 6 terminals. L1 and L2 for input power, A1 and A2 for one load and B1 and B2 for a second load (schematic shows two motors).

kwired

Electron manager
If it is what I think it is, I remember using a couple of them years ago as "transfer switches" to a individual load.

Each position is a maintained position, center is "off", but you can't physically move the handle from one extreme to the other without stopping at the center position first.

We installed a couple for connecting individual loads to an inlet to be able to supply those loads from portable generators.

480sparky

We use them occasionally on outdoor lighting.
Up on timer / photocell
Center off
Down over ride to on, for testing.

I've done the same thing with 208v commercial exterior lighting. Usually install the switch in the managers' office so employees won't mess with it. Allows the MOD to turn the lights on manually if the timer and/or photocell fail for some reason. Testing allows for maintenance during the day to replace lamps, ballasts etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.