Main service disconnect in Bathroom of previously remodeled duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash Gordon

New User
If I have this post in the wrong place just let me know and I will take it elsewhere. So here's my question.

A duplex (2 units) years ago was a SFR. After it was remodeled into a duplex the original service main disconnect is now located behind a toilet and sink that has a shower in the room.

Today an electrician comes in and adds a branch circuit to the service panel board. Should the electrical inspector issue a correction for a main service disconnect in a bathroom to the property owner ?

Where is the hazard with the service main disconnect being in the bathroom other than not having clearance to work on it. The sink and the toilet are within 6' of the main service disconnect when the panel door is open. The shower is 8' feet from the main disconnect.

Corrosion I would think is the main reason main service disconnects are not allowed in a bathroom shower or not.

MAC702

So if someone needs to shut off the power service to the building, they have to go into a bathroom and reach over a toilet?

Can you provide some pictures?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sounds like the inspector that approved the remodel made a mistake.
If it has overcurrent devices it is not allowed in a bathroom besides not having the required clearances.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Corrosion I would think is the main reason main service disconnects are not allowed in a bathroom . . . .
If it has overcurrent devices it is not allowed in a bathroom besides not having the required clearances.
Please allow me to split a hair here. I believe it is overcurrent devices, and not disconnect switches, that are excluded from dwelling unit bathrooms. So if the main service disconnect is just an on/off switch, then this is not a violation. On the other hand, the clearance rules are still applicable.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Please allow me to split a hair here. I believe it is overcurrent devices, and not disconnect switches, that are excluded from dwelling unit bathrooms. So if the main service disconnect is just an on/off switch, then this is not a violation. On the other hand, the clearance rules are still applicable.

Didn't I say that?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You said half of it, the part where overcurrent devices are not allowed in bathrooms. To that I added that unfused disconnect switches are not prohibited.

I stated that it does not have the required clearances , No a disco is not prohibited in a bathroom however as per the OP it does not meet the clearances. Since this remodel it new I would say not grandfathered in. What we do not know if the disco has overcurrent devices.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

From 230.70(A)(2)

(2) Bathrooms. Service disconnecting means shall not be
installed in bathrooms.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well there ya go. All spelled out in a code all by itself. No need interpret clearance or anything. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager

From 230.70(A)(2)

(2) Bathrooms. Service disconnecting means shall not be
installed in bathrooms.

Even without the above, 230.91 says "The service overcurrent device shall be an integral part of the service disconnecting means or shall be located immediately adjacent thereto." So there would still be an overcurrent device, which is not allowed, in the bathroom if the service disconnecting means is in the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.