strain relief or pvc sleeve for exterior cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

i've been installing either new or revamp existing weatherproof J-box outside septic tank riser for pump power/float set-up. I've removed many from inside tank riser; and install either lid just above grade, or mount pvc J-box to a post. I've either been installing cords w/strain relief conn. then sleeved for protection; or pvc sleeve directly into box- (no strain relief connn) into ground, and sealed w/putty. For in-ground installation, I always just use strain relief conn. Personally, either way above ground; the cords will be protected, but i think only one way will pass inspection.
Please reply;

Howard Richman

Buck Parrish

I'm not sure exactly what you have described. But here is a small clip of how I do them. You can see the duct seal (putty) in the conduit.

howardrichman

I'm not sure exactly what you have described. But here is a small clip of how I do them. You can see the duct seal (putty) in the conduit.

THANKS FOR REPLY;
I Dont see your "clip", but I understand what you do. pvc w/ a putty seal to me is fine, but do the cords also need to be clamped?

HR

The septic tank may be classified as a hazardous type location, and duct seal in the PVC would not be permitted in that case. The Health Department by us is the most powerful of the authorities, and they deem these locations as hazardous. It may be crappy, butt....

hehehe - sorry I could not help myself with the last sentence.:D

howardrichman

The septic tank may be classified as a hazardous type location, and duct seal in the PVC would not be permitted in that case. The Health Department by us is the most powerful of the authorities, and they deem these locations as hazardous. It may be crappy, butt....

hehehe - sorry I could not help myself with the last sentence.:D

Well; I'm installing the pvc J-box outside the tank riser; not in it. The pump and float cords may and should be protected from damaged even if they're close to the ground in a pipe. This method should be of code cause it doesn't enter the septic environment.

HR...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Installing the flexible cord in a raceway is a violation but this is a sleeve and not a raceway. As Buck showed we must use duct seal to seal off any dangerous gases that make their way thru the conduit into the electrical box. This is sanctioned by the Health Dept. We also must install the control box or a PVC JB at 18" above the ground. Generally I am a few feet or less from the tank with the control box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Can you show us where it is otherwise permitted?

505.17 is one example :)

Electric submersible pumps with means for removal without entering the wet-pit shall be considered portable utilization equipment. The extension of the flexible cord within a suitable raceway between the wet-pit and the power source shall be permitted.

iwire

Staff member
505.17 is one example :)

There are others as well but I guess I should know that here I must ask very specific questions.

Can anyone show a code section that allows what the OP wants to do in his conditions? I doubt he is talking about a classified location.

And to be clear I am not asking what is commonly done, I am asking for the code. :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There are others as well but I guess I should know that here I must ask very specific questions.

Can anyone show a code section that allows what the OP wants to do in his conditions? I doubt he is talking about a classified location.

And to be clear I am not asking what is commonly done, I am asking for the code. :)

Is the pit not classified since it has methane gas?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What would be a better way to do this. You have a concrete tank with a pump, float switch and alarm. These are all rubber cords. How would you exit the tank and install the cords into the control box? Would you leave the cord exposed to damage and sunlight? Would you drill a hole in the tank and exit with cords underground-- remember the lid is a solid concrete lid also.???

The general requirements for cords is that they are not concealed, call it a raceway, call it a sleeve but either way it is concealed.
The dang cord is concealed in the tank.............

stevenje

What would be a better way to do this. You have a concrete tank with a pump, float switch and alarm. These are all rubber cords. How would you exit the tank and install the cords into the control box? Would you leave the cord exposed to damage and sunlight? Would you drill a hole in the tank and exit with cords underground-- remember the lid is a solid concrete lid also.???

In the septic systems that I hook up you normally have a PVC junction box in the pit just under the lid that all of the cords run in to. You then install a pvc conduit with thhw wires from this junction box to your control box.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In the septic systems that I hook up you normally have a PVC junction box in the pit just under the lid that all of the cords run in to. You then install a pvc conduit from this junction box to your control box.

The health dept will not allow any splicing or jb's in the tank. Years ago we installed everything inside the tank but that got changed after a short period.

At one point we had the recep. mounted to the wall of the tank and everything just plugged in- no pvc box just jb for the recep.

stevenje

The health dept will not allow any splicing or jb's in the tank. Years ago we installed everything inside the tank but that got changed after a short period.

At one point we had the recep. mounted to the wall of the tank and everything just plugged in- no pvc box just jb for the recep.

Do you know what their reasoning is for not allowing a junction box in the tank? Is there a NEC code that restricts this installation?

iwire

Staff member

I do not know, I think there is a gap between how they are commonly done and what the NEC allows.

Often we see a NEMA 12X can in the tank for splicing from THHN to cord.

I have no idea why the heath dept would have a thing to say about it. Are the splices going to poison the waste???

:grin: Point taken

But I look at the tank the same way I look at a kitchen cabinet with an appliance cord in it .............. although that is one nasty cabinet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.