Grounding the body

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

During the daylight hours, down at the beach, under the shade of a coconut palm tree, after surfing for an hour or two, instead of going to work, I have many times taken a long nap on the sand.

It felt great.........

But I'm pretty sure the "instead of going to work" and "after surfing for an hour or two" was what made all the difference.:)

karl riley

Charlie,
You certainly illustrate the best example of exposing yourself to one minute of information and then forming a scientific opinion. Whereas the scientists represented have spend years of careful legitimate observation and research. Listed and downloadable are double blind studies where half the subjects were grounded and half were treated the same way but the switch in the control room was open. Neither subjects nor the researchers knew who was grounded and who was not, until the end of the study. This is what "double-blind" means. This is standard proceedure to eliminate the placebo effect.

As to the whole question of electron transfer, it was there in front of your eyes and downloadable. The paper includes a historical review of the research on electron transfer in the body and the role of free electrons in the healing and inflammation process.

This is obviously highly emotional stuff for some members, and it could be interesting to study the reactions in terms of psychology. But I have only one suggestion: hold your nose and try it for one night.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You certainly illustrate the best example of exposing yourself to one minute of information and then forming a scientific opinion.
I never said I was expressing a scientific opinion. But I believe I am free to form an opinion, and to freely express it.
Whereas the scientists represented have spend years of careful legitimate observation and research.
That is among the things to which I choose not to assign any credit.
As to the whole question of electron transfer, it was there in front of your eyes and downloadable. The paper includes a historical review of the research on electron transfer in the body and the role of free electrons in the healing and inflammation process.
I have no interest in downloading and reading these alleged scientific studies. Nor have I any interest in watching half hour long televised presentations describing the scientifically-proven benefits of using a unique blend of coconut milk, mustard seed paste, and a patented salve to relieve back pain while at the same time improving your grade point average and rectifying your humors.

It’s an infomercial! Everything it has to say is intended to further convince the reader (or listener) of the undeniable benefits, to reassure them of the scientific proof that is readily available for them to digest, and to offer a second batch free if you order within the next 20 minutes.
But I have only one suggestion: hold your nose and try it for one night.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I will decline.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Karl is one of our long time moderators and he wrote the book on EMFs.....I use his video on EMFS done for the CA dept of education all the time. Karl has a lot of experinece in debunking all the claims on EMF that are out there.
So if Karl thinks this works, I am on his side. I have his book.

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Actually, if you were to cut off the plug, connect all conductors together, and bond to ground, it should work fine.

The antstatic bags I measured with an ohmmeter were not conductive.

I am still hoping to hear how wrist straps are bonded in computer factories.

The wrist straps I use have a alligator clip that goes to a any metal object that is grounded. Keep in mind for electrostatic protection, its not necessary to have a low impedance ground. I don't use the antistatic too much in the rainy NW as our humidity keeps the static build up from occuring.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
So if Karl thinks this works, I am on his side. I have his book.
I have every respect for Karl. But the topic of this discussion has nothing to do with EMF. So if Karl (or anyone else) thinks this works, I will continue to believe that that alone is the reason that it works.

karl riley

Charlie,
I definitely respect your right to have an opinion about anything. I respect opinions more if they are based on information.

I am always very sensitive to possible scams, since they are very very frequent, particularly in the realm of health and weight loss. So that's one of the things I carry in my mind when I see any claims. The motivation of scams is always money. The one's whose purse will eventually be affected here are the drug companies. In fact I can imagine them spending millions in the future to try to trash the grounding effect, which after experiencing it I take as real.

A scam that allows you to go to the hardware store, spend $10 and come home an try it out, is doomed to failure. No scam here, and the various scientists whose studies are on the website already have their reputations for their life's work. With all my scam antennas out, my evaluation of this literature and these men is solidly legit.

But we each make our own worlds that we have to live in.

Tom, high impedance doesn't interfere here either, since the electron exchange is probably in the micro-amps if that.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
. . . the various scientists whose studies are on the website . . .
Perhaps I should add one final note, by way of explaining my apparently too-rapid-to-be-reasonable conclusion that this is snake oil. Then I will walk away (since I think the original question has already been answered).

I didn?t read any of the alleged scientific study information, because I consider the sources to be untrustworthy. I say that without intending to malign the reputations of their authors. But I don?t trust the reports for no other reason than that they were posted on this web site. Why is that bad? Because I am convinced that if ten studies had been performed, and if only five came out with results that are favorable to the point of view that the site wishes to promote, then only those five would show up on the site. So when I see ?only the five,? and all appear to say the same thing, that is not going to be sell me on the notion.

It is called ?self-serving evidence.? They are pushing an agenda, and they will post those things, and only those things, that support the agenda. It should surprise nobody that if you click any link on the site you will find more and yet more information that proves the ?truth? of their concept. That is the essence of an infomercial, and that is why I decline to delve more deeply into their documentation.

I say again, if a person believes it works, that may be sufficient by itself to cause it to work. By any chance have you done any research into the possible existence of scientific reports that might debunk the whole notion?

karl riley

Mike, all those points have been covered in this thread.

Charlie, I am following your reasoning. If you pre-decide anything on the internet is a scam, then of course you can interpret it all as a fraud. But you said you didn't read any of the studies. Pre-deciding is called .. oh well, have a good night.

Since I have the information I needed re the regulations that apply to both grounding to an isolated stake and grounding to the EGC, and since the thead is degenerating, I will not post any more info or opinions on opinions.

Thanks to those who gave useful electrical and Code info. It has actually been both fruitfull and entertaining at times. As a Code forum should be

Have a good night, everybody.

Dom99

Reading the Earthing Institute site two things came to mind:
Wear a copper bracelet to collect radical neutrons.

Take a shower. After all for most residents water flows thru copper
pipes which is already earth grounded.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks to those who gave useful electrical and Code info. It has actually been both fruitfull and entertaining at times. As a Code forum should be

Have a good night, everybody.
I haven't seen any useful code information. I can't see by any stretch where the NEC would apply to this.

jumper

I haven't seen any useful code information.

I have not seen any useful information, code or otherwise, in this "black magic/voodoo/New Age" thread, except what Charlie B posted.

I can't see by any stretch where the NEC would apply to this.

Yet it is in a NEC forum.:-?

Mr. Riley, I apoligise if I sound harsh/rude, but IMPO, this is too much.

Okay, I am out of this thread also.

dbuckley

Would you hook your body up to a EGC or GEC in a thunder storm?
I worked with a guy that in a previous life had worked for the government secret squirrels at listening posts. One day an antenna was damaged by lightning, and my co-worker got the replacement antenna, climbed the tower with lightning all around, and replaced the antenna.

He got a mention in dispatches for that, he told me.

You would never have guessed when you met him that he had a sub-zero IQ, which is the only possible way a non-insane person would go up a mast in a lightning storm; he seemed such a normal sort of bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.