service panel upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

a customer wants to raise the service conductors. These older homes in area have drip loops about 7' off the ground running from utility poles. The riser has this S loop offset going under eve. I want to penetrate roof over hang, less than 2', and install rigid riser. How high can i go with riser?I need to be at least 12' but I wanted to give them as much height as possible. Maybe another foot. The service drop wont cross any building and hang straight off utility pole across the resident backyard. Also its been aa while since i done a residential service. Is there anything i need to know for NEC 2017 about service upgrades. The local AHJ doesnt require much when replacing meter loop and service. I will take a look at the NEC but just asking the contractors who change out service panels more often.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
No coupling above your last strap, only thing that comes to mind if your mast needs to be taller than 10’

hope that rafter is not in the way of where you will penetrate up through eave.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Your POCO (Power Company) will be the ones to set the guidelines for this.
Most, here at least, want a minimum of 10' from grade to bottom of drip loop.
We are allowed to go 42" above roof line without a guy wire/brace. Anything above that requires guying/bracing.
But again, check with your POCO.

MBLES

Your POCO (Power Company) will be the ones to set the guidelines for this.
Most, here at least, want a minimum of 10' from grade to bottom of drip loop.
We are allowed to go 42" above roof line without a guy wire/brace. Anything above that requires guying/bracing.
But again, check with your POCO.

POCO here is 12' from grade to bottom drip loop and does have a max of 3' from roof line to POA then 6-12''max from there to top of Weather head do max height 4'. AHJ usually requires the service to be to code with grounding and labeling. The rest of wiring or home doesnt need to be replace. Correct? IS there something Nec2017 requires new i need to look at in regards to service replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.