445.18(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

I haven't paid too much attention to this but it has me a little befuddled.
Does this mean that if the fuel has a shut off (which most generators do) that you would not need a service rated disconnect to kill the power :confused:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Does this mean that if the fuel has a shut off (which most generators do) that you would not need a service rated disconnect to kill the power :confused:

Read 445.18 (1) and (2) .So you still need a DICO.:)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

A fuel shut off won't readily shut down a gasoline generator. It will run until the fuel on the engine side of the shut off runs out. In the case of a gasoline generator with carbs that have float bowls, they can run for several seconds or more after the fuel petcock is turned off.

I see readily shut down as having a kill switch or button for the ignition of the generator if it has one. (Diesels don't have ignitions so the fuel is shut off to stop the engine)

I am pretty sure the intent of the parallel notation was to apply the exception to generators that would be operating as the only available source of electricity. I just am not fond of the way it's worded.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The fuel valve does not qualify, as mentioned... but if the driving means (aka motor usually ;)) has a kill switch (i.e. on-off), that qualifies as "can be readily shut down".

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What is "other source of voltage"?
Another would be a photovoltaic system...

So it doesn't matter what the source of the source is, only that it is a source that can energize the generator when the driving means has been shut down.

ceb58

In a nut shell. If the gen. is the only source, withstanding the utility which would not be in parallel, and there was a remote E-stop then a disconnect would not be requried.

Status
Not open for further replies.