Miele stackable Washer & Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebea

Ran into a situation the other day in a condo where a Miele stackable washer and dryer requires two 220V 30A receptcales. My first thought was to cut another box in and add another dryer receptcale on the same circuit but thought better of it and called the appliance store. the gentleman there told me that it either required two 220V 30A circuits or another choice was to buy a splitter box which plugs into the existing dryer rec. and then both appliances plug into the splitter box. He went on to tell me that because of the electronics on these units they could not be on the same circuit without using this splitter box. Has anyone run into this before and how does the splitter box electricaly isolate the two appliances?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you certain it requires 2- 30 amp circuits. I have had to wire one unit with a 240V 30 amp and the washer (240V) plugged into the dryer itself. The one I did was a Bosch. I find it hard to believe the washer needs a 30 amp circuit. What is the model number of the Miele.

Here is the back of the Bosch Dryer I installed.

ry%3D480

stevebea

Are you certain it requires 2- 30 amp circuits. I have had to wire one unit with a 240V 30 amp and the washer (240V) plugged into the dryer itself. The one I did was a Bosch. I find it hard to believe the washer needs a 30 amp circuit. What is the model number of the Miele.

Here is the back of the Bosch Dryer I installed.

ry%3D480

Sorry Dennis but I do not know the model number, but yes.... it does require two 30A circuits to it or option #2 being to use the splitter box. Again it is not because of the load but because of the electronics I am being told. I have never seen a stackable like this before.

dbuckley

Be interesting to see model numbers...

Miele stuff is of European origin, and I suspect its wired just like the Bosch that Dennis has illustrated. These things are designed to run on European juice, and no-where in Europe does a receptical have more than a 16A rating, and the UK is 13A. So figures a max load of 3KW for the dryer.

Most washers don't have internal hdeaters, they demand hot water, and thus they need even less power.

To someone skilled in the European ways, having a fuse in a blue wire is a very odd thing to see, blue being the European equivalent of white. I know its being used as a (120V) hot, it just looks strange....

stevebea

Be interesting to see model numbers...

Miele stuff is of European origin, and I suspect its wired just like the Bosch that Dennis has illustrated. These things are designed to run on European juice, and no-where in Europe does a receptical have more than a 16A rating, and the UK is 13A. So figures a max load of 3KW for the dryer.

Most washers don't have internal hdeaters, they demand hot water, and thus they need even less power.

To someone skilled in the European ways, having a fuse in a blue wire is a very odd thing to see, blue being the European equivalent of white. I know its being used as a (120V) hot, it just looks strange....

Both washer and dryer had nema 14-30R male plugs and there wasn't a rec. on the back of the dryer as in the Bosch that Dennis wired. I did a little digging on the web and I think the washer is a Miele W3033 and the dryer is a Miele T8003.

wireguru

google W1900 and you will find the manual for that model and it shows the electrical requirement of the washer at 15 amps 120/240

The only reason you couldnt just put two 14-30 receptacles on one circuit is that rule (i cant remember code section) where if a stationary cord and plug connected load exceeds 50% of the branch circuit ampacity it has to be on its own circuit. So the dryer keeps you from being able to put the washer on the same circuit. The splitter box fixes that I guess.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looks like a scam to sell a box. Would want to see schematic of the black box
Why is it a scam? The appliances were available long before they started making the box. The boxes save from having to run a 20 amp 120/240 circuit for the washing machine. It is designed to allow both appliances to be connected to a single 14-30 receptacle. The receptacles on the box are 14-20's and there are 20 amp fuses protecting each receptacle.

Jim W in Tampa

Why is it a scam? The appliances were available long before they started making the box. The boxes save from having to run a 20 amp 120/240 circuit for the washing machine. It is designed to allow both appliances to be connected to a single 14-30 receptacle. The receptacles on the box are 14-20's and there are 20 amp fuses protecting each receptacle.

OK so what is the cost of this box ? Betting it has nothing inside other than fuses to back it down to 20 amps. Is the box UL listed ? Sounds like the same thing we get at RV stores that change a 30 to a 15

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK so what is the cost of this box ? Betting it has nothing inside other than fuses to back it down to 20 amps. Is the box UL listed ? Sounds like the same thing we get at RV stores that change a 30 to a 15
Jim, there is nothing magic about the box. It simply has fuses to protect the 20 receptacles that are connected to the 30 amp branch circuit. The original Miele washer and dryers sold in the US both required 20 amp 120/240 volt receptacles. If a homeowner wanted to install this equipment in an existing home they had to change the dryer receptacle to a 14-20 including replacing the 30 amp breaker with a 20 and run a new branch circuit to the washing machine. Miele came out with the box to save the homeowner the expense of the additional wiring.

There is a big difference between this box and the crap they sell for RV's. This box provides the correct overcurrent protection. RV adapters don't provide any overcurrent protection when changing receptacle ampacities.

Status
Not open for further replies.