advice, please......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
Couple of renewals ago I found I needed 16 hours with a day to go. But wait, it gets even better, I have a Washington electrical license AND a plumbers license, for installing pumps. The classes that our state ground water association puts on meets the requirements for both licenses. Only a few of the online courses would meet requirements for both electricians and plumbers.

I think I ended up doing a total of 24 hours of online classes in 24 hours. I found that there were some online 4 hour classes that I could do in less than half that time. Some wouldn’t accept the answer until so much time had elapsed, so that you had to spend the full allotted time to complete the class. I also have found that the code based classes where you have to look up the answer in the code book to get the exact verbiage correct take the full amount of time.

does CA accept a first aid course for CEU’s? Washington does.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hmmm!

You have state contractors license which is several notches above a journeyman's card.
If that's a C10 license you have, you don't need the journeyman credential. C10 renews every five years.
To qualify for a C10 exam you have to have 4 years experience working as journeyman.

You might not need to renew your Journeyman's card. But don't take my word for it. . .check it anyway.
If push comes to shove paying a penalty is not a big deal. ouch!!!

it's not required with a C-10.

letting it lapse is foolish, however.
then, i'd have to re document my work history.

so, altho i will never need it again, most likely, i'll
keep it alive.

i've got a LEED AP that is a perpetual one. no CEU's needed.
but any of the varients of LEED i'd like to add would need CEU'S
to keep the endorsement alive.

i'd rather eat worms than do LEED AP stuff, to be honest. and,
i've not seen any money doing it.

the calctp-at certificate requires a journeyman license.
the calctp-at contractor listing requires the C-10 license.

and *those* are a good thing for me to keep current.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
How did you pull that off. I owe 30 hours every 2 years to keep my AP current and it is coming due. Unfortunately I need to keep mine up for the work that I do.

back when, LEED AP's were permanent.

i tested in the last group to test before that policy ended.

i almost always test well. i may not know poop about something,
but i'll test well, for whatever reason. for the LEED, i signed up
with a service who scheduled you for two full 8 hour days right
before the test, and poured crap in, and threw a hail mary pass
based on short term memory retention.

i got the lowest passing score possible, on the last possible test date.

thats how.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hmmm!
This sounds like a case of "which comes first, the chicken or the egg?"

You have state contractors license which is several notches above a journeyman's card. If that's a C10 license you have, you don't need the journeyman credential. C10 renews every five years.
To qualify for a C10 exam you have to have 4 years experience working as journeyman.
It hasn't changed in more than 30 years, and I' m retired.
I always renew mine after five years along with my PE (electrical) registry even though I renew them as INACTIVE, in case I decide to get back into the band wagon.

You might not need to renew your Journeyman's card. But don't take my word for it. . .check it anyway.

1- You cannot work for another C-10 without a Journey certificate or be enrolled in a approved apprentice program ( 4 years max) . You can Subcontract though. Some public works don't allow that. Sometimes you may want to help out another C-10 with your expertise , if you don't have a JC you can't put on a tool bag other than installing conduit or digging ditches.

2- contractors license in CA is renewed every two years. Inactive - every 5

kwired

Electron manager
got it. thanks.

now, NFPA has my information. i'm sure they will spend the $102 in spamming me with
endless mail, email, etc.
They certainly will. I get their junk constantly.

Hmmm!
This sounds like a case of "which comes first, the chicken or the egg?"

You have state contractors license which is several notches above a journeyman's card. If that's a C10 license you have, you don't need the journeyman credential. C10 renews every five years.
It hasn't changed in more than 30 years, and I' m retired.
I always renew mine after five years along with my PE (electrical) registry even though I renew them as INACTIVE, in case I decide to get back into the band wagon.

I was going to ask something similar - most places if you need a Jman license, a contractor license is usually valid as you generally needed to hold the Jman license before you were eligible to even apply for the contracor license.

But we all know about how laws work in his state so I guess the answer may not be so clear.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
They certainly will. I get their junk constantly.

I was going to ask something similar - most places if you need a Jman license, a contractor license is usually valid as you generally needed to hold the Jman license before you were eligible to even apply for the contracor license.

But we all know about how laws work in his state so I guess the answer may not be so clear.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fulthrotl lives and practices his vocation in CA as well as I do. How he conducts the business is also governed by the same County where we live and where he applies for business license.

So, basically we are on the same boat so to speak.

The operative classification of electrical workers in CA is based on the kind of work that each worker does.
For someone who desires to have a career in electrical trade in CA, there are classifications that separate these workers based on the kind of work that they are permitted to perform.
Let's not forget that anything that we do (electrically) carries with it, a level of safe practices needed that could impact the well being of the public if work is not done in compliance with the codified articles of NEC

For starters, there is this apprentice electrician which is issued an ID to enable him to work for a C10 which also requires close supervision by the C10 holder. Minimal experience is needed but you need a card. This tells the C10 holder that you've gone through some tests eg high school education etc. Contractors are not allowed to hire beginners without this card. Ignoring this requisite could lead to a reprimand from State Contractors' Board including revocation of license.

The second one is Journeyman which is experienced in performing accepted working practices as sanctioned by AHJ. At this stage, the J-man doesn't require close supervision. In other words, he knows his stuff.
I've worked with these guys and you can tell those jobs done by these “hot shots”. . . perfectly plumbed conduit runs and uniform bends of multiple runs. Awesome. . . make inspectors feel good issuing finals.

These J-men have these motivations to do a good job in a workmanlike manner because the boss who would eventually vouch for their experience to qualify for a C10, relies on how these guys are evaluated for their work and ethics. They need four years experience. . . some variants apply.

This may seem like glorifying their status, but this is reality.

kwired

Electron manager
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fulthrotl lives and practices his vocation in CA as well as I do. How he conducts the business is also governed by the same County where we live and where he applies for business license.

So, basically we are on the same boat so to speak.

The operative classification of electrical workers in CA is based on the kind of work that each worker does.
For someone who desires to have a career in electrical trade in CA, there are classifications that separate these workers based on the kind of work that they are permitted to perform.
Let's not forget that anything that we do (electrically) carries with it, a level of safe practices needed that could impact the well being of the public if work is not done in compliance with the codified articles of NEC

For starters, there is this apprentice electrician which is issued an ID to enable him to work for a C10 which also requires close supervision by the C10 holder. Minimal experience is needed but you need a card. This tells the C10 holder that you've gone through some tests eg high school education etc. Contractors are not allowed to hire beginners without this card. Ignoring this requisite could lead to a reprimand from State Contractors' Board including revocation of license.

The second one is Journeyman which is experienced in performing accepted working practices as sanctioned by AHJ. At this stage, the J-man doesn't require close supervision. In other words, he knows his stuff.
I've worked with these guys and you can tell those jobs done by these “hot shots”. . . perfectly plumbed conduit runs and uniform bends of multiple runs. Awesome. . . make inspectors feel good issuing finals.

These J-men have these motivations to do a good job in a workmanlike manner because the boss who would eventually vouch for their experience to qualify for a C10, relies on how these guys are evaluated for their work and ethics. They need four years experience. . . some variants apply.

This may seem like glorifying their status, but this is reality.
Most of what you said is true in a lot of places, maybe some differences but still similar hierarchy of how it all works.

What I can't understand is what would be a reason to be required to hold both a contractor license and a journeyman license, when you generally have to first acquire a journeyman license before you even are eligible to apply to acquire the contractor license? As soon as I got my contractor license I quit renewing my journeyman license - and they only sent out renewal reminders for the contractor license from that point on as well. In fact IIRC the license number even stayed the same other then the contractor designation instead of the journeyman designation.

I hold a contractor license in my state. Should I decide to quit contracting my contractor license is still valid should I go to work for another contractor and take a position that a journeyman would normally fill. That said to renew my contractor license cost me 3 times more then it cost a journeyman - doesn't matter who or what I am working for either - that is simply the cost difference between the two. I only have to prove liability insurance if I pull permits. A journeymen can not pull permits.

kwired

Electron manager
Here if you don't get your license renewed before it expires (including having any required CEU's before sending renewal application) you have to take the exam again associated with the license you are applying for. They used to give you three months to renew after it expired, you couldn't legally work until you got it renewed, but didn't have to re-test as long as you got it renewed within three months after expiration. Not anymore.

All NE licenses expire on Dec 31 of even numbered years regardless of what level the license is. If you first acquired a license right now (in the second year of the cycle) they only charge you half the usual fee though. If you first acquire a license next October you will pay a full year but it will expire on Dec 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.