15 AMP RECEPTACLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
if I run a dedicated single 15 amp receptacle on # 12 wire must I use a 15 amp breaker?

Carultch

Yes (unless you meet one of the 210.21(B) exceptions.)

What is the physical consequence of putting a single 15A receptacle on a dedicated 20A circuit with #12Cu wire? What hazard are we protecting against?

It is my understanding that multiple 15A receptacles can be on a 20A circuit with #12Cu wire, because the 15A receptacles are rated by design to pass the full 20A from device to device. And the reason it is rated at 15A nominally, is that it is rated to only deliver 15A to its own loads.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
What is the physical consequence of putting a single 15A receptacle on a dedicated 20A circuit with #12Cu wire? What hazard are we protecting against?

It is my understanding that multiple 15A receptacles can be on a 20A circuit with #12Cu wire, because the 15A receptacles are rated by design to pass the full 20A from device to device. And the reason it is rated at 15A nominally, is that it is rated to only deliver 15A to its own loads.
The physical consequences are your inspector will failure inspection. Ask for real world consequences probably none as 15 amp receptacles are tested while above 15 amps and I doubt your Appliance will draw even close to 15 amps

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
The physical consequences are your inspector will failure inspection. Ask for real world consequences probably none as 15 amp receptacles are tested while above 15 amps and I doubt your Appliance will draw even close to 15 amps

Sorry my voice recognition sucks I hope you understood that

Status
Not open for further replies.