8000 watt Portable generator 30 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Im doing a interlock with an inlet for a customer
The generator they are purchasing has a 30 amp 240v twist loc configuration .So do I size my rx
Wire to 30 amps or 8000 watts ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, since the integral receptacle (likely an L14-30R) is 30 amps that's all that you'll need.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Im doing a interlock with an inlet for a customer
The generator they are purchasing has a 30 amp 240v twist loc configuration .So do I size my rx
Wire to 30 amps or 8000 watts ?

Be careful when hooking up RVs (campers) with 30 Amp twist locks.

No RV with 8000 watt generator, come with 30 Amp Mains. RVs that come with over 4000 W generator are equipped with 50 Amp 4-wire twistlocks.

Besides, for a generator this size, it would be too big to be considered portable- - -it would be a monster to haul around on wheels. Even though the plugs are rated 240 volts-- no 240- volt plug is present inside the RV itself. All devices/appliances run on 120-volt. The panel has split bus to feed the branch circuits using each separate phase to provide 120 volts. No 240 branch except the main CB. European tour buses do come with 220 volts for cooking for riders' meals. I'm sure you've seen those Volvos and MBs.

I'll be in Hungary and Germany [soon] so I'll be riding in one of these buses. :happyyes:

Don't be confused with the 30 Amp 240 volts twistlocks that are sometimes used for household dryers.

This 30 Amp RV plug is stamped for 125 volt RV use. (NEMA L5 30 P 125 V). Some of these plugs are also used in data centers and X-ray machines.

Seasoned electricians without RV experience got “burned” by RV owners when they hook up this L5 30 P plugs to a 240 volt power source.

Take care.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Be careful when hooking up RVs (campers) with 30 Amp twist locks.

No RV with 8000 watt generator, come with 30 Amp Mains. RVs that come with over 4000 W generator are equipped with 50 Amp 4-wire twistlocks.

Besides, for a generator this size, it would be too big to be considered portable- - -it would be a monster to haul around on wheels. Even though the plugs are rated 240 volts-- no 240- volt plug is present inside the RV itself. All devices/appliances run on 120-volt. The panel has split bus to feed the branch circuits using each separate phase to provide 120 volts. No 240 branch except the main CB. European tour buses do come with 220 volts for cooking for riders' meals. I'm sure you've seen those Volvos and MBs.

I'll be in Hungary and Germany [soon] so I'll be riding in one of these buses. :happyyes:

Don't be confused with the 30 Amp 240 volts twistlocks that are sometimes used for household dryers.

This 30 Amp RV plug is stamped for 125 volt RV use. (NEMA L5 30 P 125 V). Some of these plugs are also used in data centers and X-ray machines.

Seasoned electricians without RV experience got “burned” by RV owners when they hook up this L5 30 P plugs to a 240 volt power source.

Take care.

I think the OP is talking about connecting a portable generator to a transfer switch interlock at a residence. At least that's how I read it.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
8000 watt portable generator on wheels with 30 A receptacle.

56182_700x700.jpg

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200670610_200670610?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Generators%20>%20Portable%20Generators&utm_campaign=Generac&utm_content=56182&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u2Xww-lK73pO4gedM1Ad3b1j1AqPQfbpi6WDnm21wNoUFF0VpFzn08aAu8XEALw_wcB

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Am I missing something here?
8kW is more than 30A.

Apples to oranges.

8 kW is the output rating. 30 A is the configuration of the receptacle.

So in essence you have 8 kW worth of 'line' and 30 A worth of 'load'.

Even if the 30 A breaker tripped right at 30 amps, which it won't, it is still nice to have 'headroom' so the generator won't have to run fully loaded all the time.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Right again, but anyone who mentions camper as in RV gives the notion to readers as well as OP that 30 A 240 is somehow related to portable RV application.

Confusing at best..

Not really. He also mentioned DIY stores and I don't think he was talking about hooking up a generator to a DIY store. As soon as 'inlet' and 'interlock' were mentioned, I thought 'residence'. I am pretty sure everyone else reading it did too. But then, I have connected such beasts in the wild, so those terms are familiar to me.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Apples to oranges.

8 kW is the output rating. 30 A is the configuration of the receptacle.

So in essence you have 8 kW worth of 'line' and 30 A worth of 'load'.

Even if the 30 A breaker tripped right at 30 amps, which it won't, it is still nice to have 'headroom' so the generator won't have to run fully loaded all the time.

Good argument but for the wrong reason.:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.