Siding blocks for surface mounted boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4gery

I have a bit of an odd situation. A customer wants a spot light mounted up high in a surface mounted box with a PVC pipe running down to a switchbox, the feed will be coming in from the back of the switchbox. It's in his backyard so he doesn't mind the surface mounted devices (not the way I'd normally do it). Both the light box and the switch box will be mounted to the siding.

My options are to:

A) Mount the boxes directly the the siding even though they won't be plumb.
B) Mount the boxes to the siding but shim them out somehow so they are plumb.
C) Find a pair of siding blocks made for both the round box and rectangular box to be surface mounted to. Most siding blocks seem to be for recessed boxes so I wouldn't be able to run the conduit between them.

Mind you, this is an estimate and I'm competing against others who might take the easier way out, the customer doesn't seem to be too picky since it's not in a place that will be seem much. What would you do?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I would mount each box straight to the siding, use PVC between the two securing the PVC with clips that I screwed into the thickest part of every 3rd or 4th shingle.

M4gery

This is aluminum siding.

jaylectrician, all jobs have competition. ;)

So Dennis and Jay, when you say to mount the boxes straight to the siding, you mean to just screw them in even tho they will be on an angle?

Thanks.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
This is aluminum siding.

jaylectrician, all jobs have competition. ;)

So Dennis and Jay, when you say to mount the boxes straight to the siding, you mean to just screw them in even tho they will be on an angle?

Thanks.

Yes, they will be on an angle, the slight flexibility of 1/2" or even 3/4" PVC will correct that within a few inches of the boxes. Yes, it will irk you to look at, but the customer won't notice or care, especially this customer as you have described the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.