Dishwasher / small appliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaeer

Went to a job today and found the Dishwaser on the kit appliance cir. I am tring to find it in the code book but there is nothing that says yes and nothing that says no it would be under th 50% of the circuit but it also says no other outlets. This is not one of our common practices. If anyone knows it would be a great help and if i can get it with the article thanks

cpal

210.52 (B) (2) No Other Outlets. The two or more small-appliance branch circuits specified in 210.52(B)(1) shall have no other outlets.

Why is it written so? Or why just the reseptacles??

T

taylorp

Went to a job today and found the Dishwaser on the kit appliance cir. I am tring to find it in the code book but there is nothing that says yes and nothing that says no it would be under th 50% of the circuit but it also says no other outlets. This is not one of our common practices. If anyone knows it would be a great help and if i can get it with the article thanks

It is a violation of 210.52(B)(1) and (2) to connect a dishwasher to the two or more 20-amp small-appliance branch circuits required for kitchens. Other than the exceptions noted, the NEC reserves the full 20-amp capacity in these circuits to support portable appliance loads (such as toasters); the circuits may supply no other outlets.

It is permitted to connect the kitchen refrigerator to this circuit.

It is customary to provide a separate circuit for such loads as a kitchen waste disposer, dishwashers, permanently connected appliances rated at 1000 volt-amps or more, and permanently connected motors rated at 1/2 horsepower or more.

Although some of these loads, if less than 50% of the branch circuit rating, might be wired into an existing circuit (but not the small-appliance circuit), this seldom works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.