Square D Safety Switch Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Name of product:
Square D brand General Duty 30 & 60A, 120/240-volt, 2-phase and 3-phase NEMA 3R Safety Switches

Hazard:
The power can stay on when the safety switch handle is in the “OFF” position, posing an electrical shock or electrocution hazard to consumers.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/Schneider-Electric-Recalls-Square-D-Safety-Switches-Due-to-Electrical-Shock-Hazard

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We just got an email from our supply house with copies of old invoices and job names that these switches were purchased for.

I asked the manager if we were supposed to go change them out. He said, "No, your just supposed to go check and see if they operate properly."

So apparently not all of them need replaced.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Probably none. I ran into a similar recall on Amana and carrier PTAC cords last year, the owner would not even pay the labor to have the free cords replaced.

Of course the owner wouldn’t pay!
if anything try to get paid by Amana for replacement time and trip.

kwired

Electron manager
We just got an email from our supply house with copies of old invoices and job names that these switches were purchased for.

I asked the manager if we were supposed to go change them out. He said, "No, your just supposed to go check and see if they operate properly."

So apparently not all of them need replaced.
My guess based on past recalls by Square D is you need to check for specific date code to see if it is one of the units included in the recall.

Last time I ran into this was for some I line breakers. I think I had two possible breakers in the installation that may be subject to recall - only one of them was made during the dates included in the recall.

Then I had a hard time with getting credit for the replacement even though I returned the recalled breaker, but that was more of an issue with my particular supply house and not necessarily Square D IMO.

Add: and this was like two or three years after initial installation - I wasn't paid to do anything related to this recall, though I was doing a good deed in my client's interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.