Flat rate pricing, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Before we rehash all the arguments on this topic again, it would be helpful for you to define what you mean by "flat rate pricing", as there are several opinions on what it means.

we had a LONG discussion on this somewhere in the middle of last year. Do a search; you'll find plenty of pros and cons. I'm not up for another debate on this.

satcom

What are some of the pros and cons toflat rate pricing?

A flat rate is the end result of well tuned estimate, contract and flat rate prices lets the customer know what a job will cost, T&M always leaves the customer guessing and in my experience ends up with hard feelings and problems at the end of the job, some states require you to let the customer know up front what the job will cost, before any work is started. I cant think of any cons for up front pricing.

kwired

Electron manager
About the biggest con is if you are not very good at estimating and you end up agreeing with customer on a price where you lose money in the end.

If that happens once in a while you may just take your loss and learn from it, if it happens frequently you need to re-evaluate the pricing or methods used to determine pricing.

dbuckley

we had a LONG discussion on this somewhere in the middle of last year. Do a search; you'll find plenty of pros and cons. I'm not up for another debate on this.
What a party pooper; having the same discussions time and time again is the very essence of the Mike Holt forums, you can't just abdicate.

The OP could look here, or here, here, here, or perhaps here; all these threads all have at least a hundred posts in them, and some 300...

There's loads more threads if one does a search...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What a party pooper; having the same discussions time and time again is the very essence of the Mike Holt forums, you can't just abdicate.

lol, yes i can.

i just don't have the strength anymore. good luck to those of you that want to get embroiled in the subject once more. no matter how clear you make the point that flat rate works, there's always someone who feels like you're pissing in their T&M cornflakes, and will make sure you know that T&M works just fine for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.