User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: transformer/driver for 12v LED?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transformer/driver for 12v LED?

I'm installing some LED strip lights for an indirect lighting system. They are driven at 12V, in parallel, with a total load of about 60W (about 50' of lights). I would prefer to use a concealable transformer, and hide it behind an access panel. I don't need to be able to dim them. I have found some drivers that claim to be specifically for LED applications, but am wondering if I can use a transformer for a 12V track lighting system? I suppose it depends on how the rectification is done in the transformer, but most manufacturers don't list it, and few also list the efficiency of the unit. Any recommendations on the subject, or pointers to suppliers of drivers? thanks, Roy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have opened this thread after discussions with the OP. Have at it.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First you will need to call the manufacturer as it will depend on the lights. Not all transformers are created equal and there may be drivers needed that many transformers won't have. Also concealing low voltage wiring behind walls and cabinets may not be compliant at all. Art. 411 is the appropriate code for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this has nothing to do with the answer to your question but it is a consideration (which you may have already made).

411.3 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
    30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).
    (A) Listed System. Lighting systems operating at 30 volts
    or less shall be listed as a complete system. The luminaires,
    power supply, and luminaire fittings (including the exposed
    bare conductors) of an exposed bare conductor lighting system
    shall be listed for the use as part of the same identified
    lighting system.
    (B) Assembly of Listed Parts. A lighting system assembled
    from the following listed parts shall be permitted:
    (1) Low-voltage luminaires
    (2) Low-voltage luminaire power supply
    (3) Class 2 power supply
    (4) Low-voltage luminaire fittings
    (5) Cord (secondary circuit) for which the luminaires and
    power supply are listed for use
    (6) Cable, conductors in conduit, or other fixed wiring
    method for the secondary circuit

The luminaires, power supply, and luminaire fittings
    (including the exposed bare conductors) of an exposed bare
    conductor lighting system shall be listed for use as part of
    the same identified lighting system.

Pete
    Experience is something thats gained shortly after you really needed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, the manufacturer of these strip lights does not provide a driver. They're very simple - groups of 3 LEDs and a small resistor in series, wired in parallel on a flexible strip with a density of one group per 5 cm, in reels 5m long. Power consumption is a little less than a Watt / foot. There is no temperature regulation or control electronics, so it basically just wants pure 12V DC. I have seen that a lot of drivers for low voltage track systems are designed for incandescant applications, and really just have a rectified high frequency A/C waveform, which would probably cause this sort of a setup to flicker. I have seen some drivers made by Hatch and various no-name Chinese manufacturers which claim to provide a constant voltage D/C signal, but am hoping others have encountered this situation before and have a good solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodvprt View Post
    I'm installing some LED strip lights for an indirect lighting system. They are driven at 12V, in parallel, with a total load of about 60W (about 50' of lights). I would prefer to use a concealable transformer, and hide it behind an access panel. I don't need to be able to dim them. I have found some drivers that claim to be specifically for LED applications, but am wondering if I can use a transformer for a 12V track lighting system? I suppose it depends on how the rectification is done in the transformer, but most manufacturers don't list it, and few also list the efficiency of the unit. Any recommendations on the subject, or pointers to suppliers of drivers? thanks, Roy.
    How does the "tape" connect to the driver?
    How are the sections of "tape" connected together?

I think WAC has a driver, don't have it with me right now, that lists 1w min. and 60W max. I can look at it in the morning and post it tomorrow.
    Norb

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would still contact the manufacturer and ask what transformer is to be used. Some transformers may work directly with the lights. If they don't know then they shouldn't be making the darn things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tape looks like a flexible printed circuit board, about 8mm wide. It's made in sections about 50cm long, that are soldered together, with is a self adhesive backing on the underside. It can be cut at the end of every 3 LED group. At the ends, the tape has size M coax connectors, so they can can be joined in series (though I would worry about resistive losses over very long runs), or connected to a power supply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THere are a couple of LED shops on the inernet that sell a drivers of different wattage specifically for LED strips like you describe. THey are made to fit in a J-box.

I would not use a transformer from a LV track system as it might not be DC and most LED's I belive need to have full wave DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I forgot Welcome to the Forum