ibc 907.5.2.1 Notification Applicance location - Type R-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

The building code is a bit vague for me, all it says for type R-2 occupancies in section 907.5.2.1 is that audible appliances shall be provided to provide an average sound level of bla bla bla.

Where specifically should I install the audible appliances in the typical dwelling unit?

I know the sleeping rooms yes... common rooms should have audible/visible.. That's about it?

Also, an addressable FA system will be installed. There are individual dwelling units in the bldg and outside the dwelling units there are other boarding type areas with individual sleeping rooms.

So, local smoke detectors will be provided in dwelling units which are programmed to alarm the local dwelling unit notification devices only and send a supervisory signal to FACP. All other boarding type areas including the sleeping rooms within them will be connected to the general fire alarm signal, which upon activation will be programmed to alarm all notification devices in bldg.

Does this sound right?

Thank you for your help!

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
ibc 907.5.2.1 Notification Applicance location - Type R-2

Not quite sure specifically what you're asking. Here's a few common highlights.

520hz low frequency sounders in sleeping areas. You'll do this in the bedrooms (obviously) and the living area where there is a couch or pull out bed.

Hearing imparied/handicap rooms will need strobes. So you'll replace the sounder with a combo sounder/strobe and in the restrooms you'll put in a strobe also. Typically, 110cd if you use wall mount within 16' of the pillow and 177cd if you use ceiling height. Of course if this is a high-rise, you'll use speaker devices.

Designer69

Thank you Fire Pro.

I have basically incorporated what you mention above. 2 things:

- in the common bathrooms I have put in sounder/strobe combo not just strobe. Is this ok?

- as far as programming the FA system; The dwelling unit area obv. gets programmed for local alarm only
(& supervisory signal to FACP) or if there is a general bldg. alarm, the dwelling unit area also gets
alarmed. As far as the area outside from the dwelling unit (Open boarding type area with corridors and
sleeping rooms).. Local alarm only in sleeping rooms (w/ supervisory signal to FACP)? Or sleeping rooms
get programmed with general alarm?

This is not a high rise, it's a 2 story with basement and attic, with total 16 sleeping rooms (including dwelling unit)

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
Depending on the AHJ it could be a little above and beyond, most AHJ's I've worked with just want the visual. I don't think it would be anything they would kick back your plans to you though.

Dwelling units usually would go in alarm and annunciate as supervisory at the facp and annunciator(s), which is I think how you specified below.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.