Lighting retrofit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK_EDDIE

Like a lot of things, Ive done the work but never bid one for my own company.

I have a building with 530 8 ft strips to be retro fitted to double 4 fts my cost

is 28 dollars a fixture and 1.38 per lamp. 1100.00 for 8ft lamp disposal, 1000.00 for lift rental , 500, for wirenuts ect. i did a test fixture it took an hour..... i know it can be done in 20 minutes with 2 people on the lift and a ground person in an operational store with customers and shelving and store product and 15ft ceiling slowing you down at every turn. I gave a price of 47,000 and the guy choked and died over the phone. am out of the ballpark ?

ceb58

I have a building with 530 8 ft strips to be retro fitted to double 4 fts my cost

is 28 dollars a fixture and 1.38 per lamp. 1100.00 for 8ft lamp disposal, 1000.00 for lift rental , 500, for wirenuts ect. i did a test fixture it took an hour..... i know it can be done in 20 minutes with 2 people on the lift and a ground person in an operational store with customers and shelving and store product and 15ft ceiling slowing you down at every turn. I gave a price of 47,000 and the guy choked and died over the phone. am out of the ballpark ?

If you are replacing 1-8ft with 2-4ft you are talking 1060 fixtures correct?

bradleyelectric

He is probably referring to 8' long fixtures that take 4' tubes. I'm not sure if the existing took 2 8' tubes or 1. Most I do are 8' fixtures that take 4 4' tubes. We call them 8' tandem fixtures.

ASK_EDDIE

This is a retrofit , the original body of the fixture already mounted will stay in place, the entire fixture is gutted and the 8' long retrofit plate is then mounted to the body of the old fixture , it is then a tandem 4' fixture with 4 t8 lamps.

bradleyelectric

Does the power company offer a payment for retrofitting to a more efficient light? You can be looking at $13,250 there. I might be $5K under you before that. That would bring the job under $30K

ceb58

Then lets look at the numbers
530 fixtures@ 28.00= 14840
2120 lamps @ 1.38 = 2925.60
lift @ 1000.00
misc. items 500.00
For a total of $19,265.60
Now you did not say any thing about mark up on the material or if you will incur a disposal fee for the old lamps or removal and disposal of old fixtures.
This will leave about $27,734 for labor,over head and profit.
With your description of working conditions I doubt you will do 3 fixtures per hr. probably 2 per hr. You are talking only 16 to maybe 20 per day. At this rate you are looking at around 212 hrs. With 3 people that works out to $30.00 per hr per man. For a total of $88.67 per fixture. Doesn't sound out of line.
As Bradly said there may be a rebate the power co. will offer. I would bring it to the owners attention if they did and let him deal with it.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Then lets look at the numbers
530 fixtures@ 28.00= 14840
2120 lamps @ 1.38 = 2925.60
lift @ 1000.00
misc. items 500.00
For a total of $19,265.60
Now you did not say any thing about mark up on the material or if you will incur fee for the old lamps or removal and disposal of old fixtures.
This will leave about $27,734 for labor,over head and profit.
With your description of working conditions I doubt you will do 3 fixtures per hr. probably 2 per hr. You are talking only 16 to maybe 20 per day. At this rate you are looking at around 212 hrs. With 3 people that works out to $30.00 per hr per man. For a total of $88.67 per fixture. Doesn't sound out of line.
As Bradly said there may be a rebate the power co. will offer. I would bring it to the owners attention if they did and let him deal with it.
Ceb, he did list a cost for disposal of old lamps, $1100

Status
Not open for further replies.