"Kitchen-rated" smoke alarms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliderule

What exactly is a kitchen-rated smoke alarm? I can't find much on the 'net. Are they something new? Here's a link to one from USI (Universal Securities Instruments www.universalsecuritystore.com/store/products/10-year-tamper-proof-sealed-battery-smoke-and-fire-alarm-mdsk300s.htm It seems to be a combo of a rate-of-rise heat detector and "ordinary" smoke detector technology? The literature refers to revolutionary patented smoke sensing technology. Even has a 10 year life battery. All sounds to good to be true?Am wondering what UL & NFPA has to say about these and when and where you can install them. Can you remove a smoke alarm and replace it with one of these? I came across this on an RV forum and have not heard of them before.

sliderule

Photoelectric are better than ionization in proximity to kitchens.

Okay, but just what does "kitchen-rated" mean? The USI detector appears to be a heat detector and ionization & photoelectric smoke detector in one and they say it conforms to UL 217. USI says the detector has "iophic" and "USST" technology. I don't have a copy of UL 217.

Last edited:

RICK NAPIER

The 2016 NFPA 72 does not allow a smoke detector to be installed closer than 10' from fixed cooking appliance unless listed for close proximity to cooking appliances 29.8.3.4. So I quess that's what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.