Code Conflicts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

517.30(C)(1) Wiring requirement
? The wiring of equipment system shall be permitted to occupy the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets of other circuits that are not part of the emergency system.

700.9(B) Wiring, Emergency System
Wiring of two or more emergency circuits supplied from same source shall be permitted in the same raceway, cable, box, or cabinet. Wiring from an emergency source or emergency source distribution overcurrent protection to emergency loads shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment?

raider1

Staff member
Check out 517.26. Article 517 can amend the requirements of Article 700.

So the equipment system required by 517.30 is specifically permitted to occupy the same raceway, boxes or cabinets of other circuits that are not part of the emergency system.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
517.30(C)(1) Wiring requirement
? The wiring of equipment system shall be permitted to occupy the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets of other circuits that are not part of the emergency system.

700.9(B) Wiring, Emergency System
Wiring of two or more emergency circuits supplied from same source shall be permitted in the same raceway, cable, box, or cabinet. Wiring from an emergency source or emergency source distribution overcurrent protection to emergency loads shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment?

Article 517 is pretty much stand alone and article 700 doesn't directly apply.

The Equipment System is part of the Essential Systems but it is not part of the Emergency System see FPN Figures 517.30 No 1 and No2

Roger

anbm

Does this mean equipment system circuit can be occupied same raceway, box with normal power circuit per 517?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
While I agree with the essence of the above responses, it is important to recognize the reason. The Equipment System is not part of the Emergency System which consists of the Critical Branch and the Life Safety branch; i.e., Art 700 never applied to the Equipment System in the first place. Also see Figure 517.30.

The italicized terms are all defined in Section 517.2; they should be reviewed.

anbm

However, the Equipment System and Emergency System are BOTH connected to emergency generator. This makes me wondering why code treat Equipment System different.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
However, the Equipment System and Emergency System are BOTH connected to emergency generator. This makes me wondering why code treat Equipment System different.
Because the Equipment System (loads) can be selectively shed (automatically or manually) if needed

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
However, the Equipment System and Emergency System are BOTH connected to emergency generator.
It's not an "emergency generator." I would like to see that phrase abolished. It is just a "generator," and it happens to be the source of power to emergency loads. It is also allowed to be the source of power to "legally required standby loads" and "optional standby loads," provided the priorities are properly arranged.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
It's not an "emergency generator." I would like to see that phrase abolished. It is just a "generator," and it happens to be the source of power to emergency loads. It is also allowed to be the source of power to "legally required standby loads" and "optional standby loads," provided the priorities are properly arranged.

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.