Recept at the Washing Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Let's say I run two twenty amp circuits to the laundry room. Circuit one serves recepts. in the laundry room only, except the washer.

If circuit two serves the washer and the alarm on a sewer lift have I violated 210.11 or any other relevant code rule.

I think not, but I want to be sure.

Part of the reason for wanting this arrangement is there is a sink in the laundry room. The homeowner prefers to have the required GFCI protection be a breaker rather than recept.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Let's say I run two twenty amp circuits to the laundry room. Circuit one serves recepts. in the laundry room only, except the washer.

If circuit two serves the washer and the alarm on a sewer lift have I violated 210.11 or any other relevant code rule.

I think not, but I want to be sure.

Part of the reason for wanting this arrangement is there is a sink in the laundry room. The homeowner prefers to have the required GFCI protection be a breaker rather than recept.

The part about "not having no other outlets" might be a little tricky!:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO once you've satisfied the requirement for the 20 amp laundry circuit serving no other outlets you can install as many other circuits as you would like. The problem I see here is that the washing machine is to be plugged into the required circuit and that circuit can only serve the laundry receptacle outlets.

210.11(C) Dwelling Units.
(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.

jumper

IMO once you've satisfied the requirement for the 20 amp laundry circuit serving no other outlets you can install as many other circuits as you would like. The problem I see here is that the washing machine is to be plugged into the required circuit and that circuit can only serve the laundry receptacle outlets.

Are you saying I cannot plug a washing machine into a receptacle on the required laundry circuit?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What about the part before that says "at least one"

That would be fine, but you're not using the required circuit for the washer.

And what he said.:)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There is no NEC requirement that the required circuit supply the washing equipment.

That's the way I feel. The code says laundry circuit, not washing machine circuit. I also remember reading here that the requirement predates the electric washing machine.

It feels a strange adding something to circuit that the washer plugs into, but I see nothing that says I shall not.

dana1028

So what is supposed to be plugged in to that circuit?:confused:

Anything you want....cord-plug connected clothes iron, gas dryer.

I'm a municipal inspector - I'm of the opinion [I think iwire made a good argument some years back] that once you have supplied the 210.52(F) receptacle, on the 210.11(C)(2) circuit you have satisfied the NEC requirements....additional circuits are just that, additional circuits that are allowed to do other things....they just happen to share some space in the laundry area.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you saying I cannot plug a washing machine into a receptacle on the required laundry circuit?

No, I'm saying that you need to provide one circuit for the laundry other circuits are permitted too such as one for the alarm mentioned in the OP.

jwelectric

Food for thought, 220.52(B) states that 1500 volt amperes shall be calculated for each circuit covered in 210.11(C)(2) .
If both circuits supplied the laundry then both would need to be calculated at 1500 volt amperes or both would be considered by 220.52(B) as laundry circuits.
Would this make a difference about the no other outlets to be supplied by the laundry circuit?

On a side note he is not supplying any other outlets by plugging something into the receptacle that was installed for the laundry. The section does not mandate what can be plugged into the receptacle just that it can?t supply any other outlets. This would be true if only one circuit was installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well is 210.11(C)(1) only requires one then I don't see why a second outlet would require another 1500 VA demand. If I run a circuit to a built in ironing board that has a receptacle and light is that illegal. According to your situation it would be since no other outlet is allowed. If I can install the built in ironing board with recep. & light, then can I have it on a lighting circuit?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Without in further discussion (on my part) about the requirements. Why doesn't the OP just plug the washer into the GFCI circuit. The code doesn't say you can't have GFCI in the laundry room, it's just not required for a washer.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Without in further discussion (on my part) about the requirements. Why doesn't the OP just plug the washer into the GFCI circuit. The code doesn't say you can't have GFCI in the laundry room, it's just not required for a washer.
It is required for a washer if the washer is within 6' of a sink. :cool:

elohr46

according to Ray Mullins book on Residential Wiring for the laundry room, you need one circuit for the washer and one circuit for other laundry equip., 1500 va for each circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
according to Ray Mullins book on Residential Wiring for the laundry room, you need one circuit for the washer and one circuit for other laundry equip., 1500 va for each circuit.

Well alot of people would disagree with Ray Mullins. Where in the NEC does it say one circuit for the washer. In reality-- that is what I do but it is not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.