User Tag List

Thread: plastic boxes for low volt in a 18 story commercial building

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plastic boxes for low volt in a 18 story commercial building

im an electrician in syracuse, ny. im currently working in a 18 story commercial building and was wondering if i can use plastic boxes for low voltage wiring or if there are any codes against this ive never heard of any against it. a coworker says you cant use plastic in a high rise but im skeptical i've used them plenty of times for 5 to 6 story commercial and never failed an inspection but never worked on a high rise does any one know of a code saying its ok or not ok. and this is for fire alarm, control voltage, and etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilson1982 View Post
    im an electrician in syracuse, ny. im currently working in a 18 story commercial building and was wondering if i can use plastic boxes for low voltage wiring or if there are any codes against this ive never heard of any against it. a coworker says you cant use plastic in a high rise but im skeptical i've used them plenty of times for 5 to 6 story commercial and never failed an inspection but never worked on a high rise does any one know of a code saying its ok or not ok. and this is for fire alarm, control voltage, and etc.
    Many of the High rises I have worked in have construction standards or generic specs for all construction. They may address your question and prohibit plastic boxes, otherwise, from a national code issue, they are perfectly legal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. Around here there is one city that prohibits all PVC regardless of trade in all commercial construction. So check the local codes.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilson1982 View Post
    im an electrician in syracuse, ny.
    Welcome to the Forum. I was born and raised in Syracuse. Shoveled snow for a hobby while I was raised. See my profile for current location.