pole re-enforcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on a bunch of poles the other day. Anybody ever see anything like this? There were several of those yellow caps where they had presumably drilled in to sample the pole, Unless they drove in steel pins for re-enforcement? I am a bit skeptical this adds any significant strength to the pole.

Attachments

• 20180722_163236_resized.jpg
    20180722_163236_resized.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20180722_163218_resized.jpg
    20180722_163218_resized.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 2

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We have them here too. I'm unsure but it seems as if they're installed where there is a higher likelihood of vehicle impact.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The plugs are where Osmose did test borings to see if there was any decay in the butt. (Osmose is the company utilities contract with to inspect their poles.) They look at the chips from the auger bit. Could be that the results were that there was some but not enough to require a pole replacement. So they strapped on that reinforcement to get maybe another 10 years out of it.

There is a pole like that directly across from my driveway but unfortunately I wasn't around when they did that reinforcement or I would have asked.

-Hal

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No, just steel channel strapped on with a heavy-duty pallet strapping type machine. The cover on top is probably to protect people from the sharp edges- that channel is driven down into the ground alongside the pole.

No idea why the plug is painted yellow- probably indicates when it was done or something. I normally see black.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.