Exterior Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricianJeff

I am working on a bid for an upcoming lighting project. Other than basic resendential lighting I know little about lighting and can use some assistance.

This is a small freestanding neighborhood ice cream shop. The parking lot is adequatelly lit but the front of the building is dark and and at night its hard to tell they are open. My current plan is to install two metal halide fixtures on two existing 4" metal light posts in front of the building. I will be mounting these fixtures at 15' and the posts are 45' from the front of the building. I'm thinking 175 watts each will get the job done but I'm really just guessing.

The photometric chart for the fixture I'm considering shows a factor of 1.0 at 175 watts at 15' and 40'. I'm not sure whats that means or if it will work for me.

Any assistance from someone that does these all the time would be helpful. I would like to make this a learning experience since this is an area than I am real weak in. The lighting "expert" at my supply house was of no help.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
I am not an expert

15' sounds way to low for 40' out. When people face the lights they will be glaring.

40' seems way to far for 150s

Adding fixtures to an existing pole may require some back up to the inspector that the pole and base is adequate.

sd4524

I say screw the photometric chart... drive by a similar establishment and see how the lighting is done. An ice cream shop with a soffit at the front of the store? Recess lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.