Convert ITE part # to current Siemens part #

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Seeing how Siemens bought ITE shouldn't you have access to that info in the archives?

Roger

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Considering that the buy-out took place long before the internet existed, I doubt you will find any help on that.

10 years ago I was helping a friend who worked at Siemens move to a new office. In the move, they were throwing out a wall of old Siemens, ITE and even Louis Allis catalogs going back to the late 60s. I "rescued" them from the trash bin and took them to my office at the time. But unfortunately I left that company for the job I now have and they would not allow me to take those catalogs, they had become very very valuable (at the time I left anyway) in servicing a customer we had who was always rebuilding old gear. More recently I needed info that I knew would be in one of those old catalogs and called someone I knew who was still there, he couldn't find them. It's a crying shame...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I understand the frustration, hopefully someone here can help. Along with Jraef, there is another member called Zog that knows a lot about Siemens, maybe he'll chime in or you can PM him.

Roger

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Considering that the buy-out took place long before the internet existed, I doubt you will find any help on that.

10 years ago I was helping a friend who worked at Siemens move to a new office. In the move, they were throwing out a wall of old Siemens, ITE and even Louis Allis catalogs going back to the late 60s. I "rescued" them from the trash bin and took them to my office at the time. But unfortunately I left that company for the job I now have and they would not allow me to take those catalogs, they had become very very valuable (at the time I left anyway) in servicing a customer we had who was always rebuilding old gear. More recently I needed info that I knew would be in one of those old catalogs and called someone I knew who was still there, he couldn't find them. It's a crying shame...

they took your books, man? :happysad: what is an engineer supposed to do?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
they took your books, man? :happysad: what is an engineer supposed to do?
What shocked me more was the Siemens office tossing them out in the first place. It was a new young (Gen-X) manager who basically said "Everything we need to know is available on-line. Recycle the paper..." Those old catalogs were a treasure trove of info that was NOT on-line.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What shocked me more was the Siemens office tossing them out in the first place. It was a new young (Gen-X) manager who basically said "Everything we need to know is available on-line. Recycle the paper..." Those old catalogs were a treasure trove of info that was NOT on-line.
I learned an important lesson from my mentor. He produced some paper describing sag calculations for wooden utility poles. The paper was literally yellow and I increduously pointed out how old it was. He stopped me mid sentence and told me that doesn't make it wrong.

Your experience only reinforces the point that there is so much old equipment installed And we frequently need technical data on it. Short sighted to get rid of it all. I pride myself in my slowly growing library.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If I had been bored enough, I probably would have scanned them, at least parts of them. But that takes a lot of time. I had an extensive library of clipped articles and white papers on things that have vexed me over the years. I was starting to scan them into digital form, but had to go into the hospital for a week. When I got out, my wife and daughter had given me a "gift" of cleaning out my office, during which they dumped those "boxes of old yellow papers" into the recycle bin. I've never told them how much that pissed me off because they thought they were doing something nice for me, but it did.

Malywr

my wife and daughter had given me a "gift" of cleaning out my office, during which they dumped those "boxes of old yellow papers" into the recycle bin. I've never told them how much that pissed me off because they thought they were doing something nice for me, but it did.

LoL... happy wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zog

I understand the frustration, hopefully someone here can help. Along with Jraef, there is another member called Zog that knows a lot about Siemens, maybe he'll chime in or you can PM him.

Roger

Not so much small panels like this but maybe I can pull something up. What is the model or type of the panel?

These can be tough because most OEM's never actually made smaller panels, they typically outsourced the panel fabrication to independent panel shops that used the OEM guts in the panels they made in house and put the OEM name on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.