Service nec 230

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have two level commercial car garage. The garage already has an existing electric utility service. Second new 1200a three phase 480/277v is being added for car charging stations. The new utility transformer is about 100 feet away from garage and next to transformer their is new H frame that has new 1200 amps fused service disconnect. Load side of disco goes underground, comes up to the garage side and goes into garage first level then goes about 100 feet inside first level ceiling mounted and then up into second level and feeds 1200 amps main breaker panel MDP which then feeds car chargers.

So two part question:

1. Is second service allowed by the code for car chargining station or special permission is required?

2. Where feeders enter into garage first level right where they enter need a disco since they are outside feeders or the service disco sufficent per code?

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
1) Given the situation and the sizing, I think most AHJ's would be OK with the second service with proper signage.
2) 100 feet in my view would not get it. Gonna need a second disco at the building. Given the size of this, I would have chosen to run service conductors to a service disco on the building and avoid the disconnect next to the xformer.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
1) Given the situation and the sizing, I think most AHJ's would be OK with the second service with proper signage.
2) 100 feet in my view would not get it. Gonna need a second disco at the building. Given the size of this, I would have chosen to run service conductors to a service disco on the building and avoid the disconnect next to the xformer.
Lets say the service disconnect was 20 feet from the garage then would it still require disco in building next to entrance of feeder since feeder would run almost 100 feet of run inside then to distribution panel main breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.