Nec 450-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

450.13 only limits the size when applied in a "hollow space".

Depending on the size a structural engineer may be needed to verify that the size of the structural members supporting the transformer is adequate.

Pete

jrvazzer

450.13 only limits the size when applied in a "hollow space".

Depending on the size a structural engineer may be needed to verify that the size of the structural members supporting the transformer is adequate.

Pete
I dont have the lastest code with me. 112 1/2kva transformer looking to trapeze mtd. 9'-0" a.f.f. in open ceiling with slab floor above.

jrvazzer

temporary generator

temporary generator

What is the most efficient and cost saving way to install a temporary generator? These are scenario;
For large Food shopping Center:
1. Just have a rental generator company install it. When needing it. Usually install within 2 to three hours.
2. Retro fit in advance by providing ATS with quick connect permanently.
3. Retro fit some sort of Kirk key system so in house people can safely connect temp generator. (not sure yet if this required ATS )
What is your opinion? Base on power outage in area. Say lost of power 2 times in 5 years. Is it worth the investment for scenario #2 or #3 or just hook up when you need it?

cadpoint

2. Retro fit in advance by providing ATS with quick connect permanently.

I'd vote #2, but this sets up an arragement and a future contract agreement with local generator distributor that might be beyond the scope of your work.

You have to do all the load calculations, assure that the electricial argreement is ready and counted for and present it it to the owner what you find out.

Price of ATS, work on service and circuits involved, additional scope of work (future) if required training/yearly.

You or them could then deal with the local dist. I'm sure there might be some variables but the jest of it is correct.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You live where the weight of snow and ice is not considered. That can be big factor in some places.

That's true, but even if they calc for snow loads, they may not be calcing for any additional loads to be added to that roof. Like our sturctual engineer says, "just because it says a 2x4 can span 12', that doesn't mean it's a good idea."

Status
Not open for further replies.