Garage receptacles requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kg808

Hey all!
im wiring a 3 car garage. I know that I need one circuit to feed receptacles - one in each car bay. Question I have is, can I use a 2nd 20A circuit to feed additional workbench receptacles and exterior receptacles. Or does the new requirement only allow the receptacles in the garage to only be on a circuit for those interior garage receptacles.
The way I understand it is as a minimum requirement and since I’ve met that anything above that is fair game?

for example I want to run this 2nd circuit to feed the door openers and a few exterior plugs.

thanks for the help!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

(G) Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For
a one-family dwelling, at least one receptacle outlet shall be
installed in the areas specified in 210.52(G)(1) through (3).
These receptacles shall be in addition to receptacles required
for specific equipment.
(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for
each car space.

(G) Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For one and
two- family dwellings, at least one receptacle outlet shall be
installed in the areas specified in 210.52(G)(1) through (3).
These receptacles shall be in addition to receptacles required
for specific equipment.
(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power, at least one receptacle outlet shall
be installed in each vehicle bay and not more than 1.7 m
(51∕2 ft) above the floor.

Adamjamma

As I read the code, the outlets can be used for the workshop area of the garage as long as there is not a wall that makes it a separate room... but a different circuit is needed for you to handle any outside sockets. My own garage has two dedicated circuits other than the required outlets circuit, because I have a freezer and my washing machine in it... but, that is my own choices.. my outside circuits are split into two circuits that cover the outside of the building because I use electric mowers... but that again is me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't forget the new section in the 2017

210.11(C)(4) Garage Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of
branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least
one 120-volt, 20-ampere branch circuit shall be installed to
supply receptacle outlets in attached garages and in detached
garages with electric power. This circuit shall have no other
outlets.
Exception: This circuit shall be permitted to supply readily accessible
outdoor receptacle outlets.

kwired

Electron manager
That new section Dennis quoted for 2017 means you must have at least one 20 amp circuit in the garage supplying at least one receptacle outlet in the garage and no other outlets - with the exception for outside outlets. As I read that it is limited to receptacle outlets only, you can't supply lighting outlets. Once you have that one 20 amp circuit, you can run as many other circuits as you want (15 or 20 amp) in the garage IMO, and can even serve outlets outside the garage on those other circuits.

jqdavis

Hey all!
im wiring a 3 car garage. I know that I need one circuit to feed receptacles - one in each car bay. Question I have is, can I use a 2nd 20A circuit to feed additional workbench receptacles and exterior receptacles. Or does the new requirement only allow the receptacles in the garage to only be on a circuit for those interior garage receptacles.
The way I understand it is as a minimum requirement and since I’ve met that anything above that is fair game?

for example I want to run this 2nd circuit to feed the door openers and a few exterior plugs.

thanks for the help!

In section 210.11(c)(4) says you need at least ONE 20amp circuit.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is one of those, "once you have done the minimum, you can do whatever else you want" situations. So yes, you can add circuits to do other things.

peter d

I think this is a poorly worded code section. If the intent is to require all the receptacles to be on 20 amp circuits, then why this loophole language?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think this is a poorly worded code section. If the intent is to require all the receptacles to be on 20 amp circuits, then why this loophole language?

I agree, and this has changed in every one of the last three code cycles. :slaphead:

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what the intent is, and not sure the CMP knows since they keep messing with it. Sure seems like they are concerned with increasing possible need for EV charging though and want at least one 20 amp circuit in the garage because of that potential load. Yet many EV owners want higher rate charging equipment and sounds like they often end up with a 40 or 50 amp 240 volt charging station anyway.

My thoughts are they are messing with what should be design decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.