In ground fixture with SO cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCPE

Hi,

I have a fixture installation that the manufacturer says they have not had a code issue with but it seems suspect to me. See the attached sketch, it is sideways in the sketch but it is intended to be an ingrade fixture.
inground fixture wiring.JPG

The fixture comes with SOW cord for the leads coming out of the fixture. The field connections for those SO cords would be made up in a void in the dirt beneath the fixture. They would not be direct buried but they won't have a housing (other than the dirt recess) around them either. The "concrete form" indicated in the sketch is just the hole in the paver or sidewalk that the fixture housing slip into.

My main concern is meeting the requirements of 400.12. In particular 400.12(5) "Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings". Does anyone have experience with a similar installation? Do you see anything I can point to that clearly defines this as an acceptable installation?

Thanks,
John

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In that case the cord is part of a listed assembly and is fine.

Click Here for a list of NRTL's accepted by NC.

Roger

Andy Delle

Good point. Thanks. I'll see if the inspector agrees.

It looks like you will be using an ell for the primary AC. Why not put the DMX splices inside another ell? Yes it's low voltage but still subject to corrosion and failure. Cost aside it would be a first class was to handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.