User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: need UL for new patent grounding electrode- technology is not 8 ft long (standards)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need UL for new patent grounding electrode- technology is not 8 ft long (standards)

We have a patented new technology from and inventor thatworks and functions as a grounding device. This electrode has been provedsuccessful in over 8 countries and more than 2,000 locations.

This electrode is by far superior in many capabilities toany other currently available in the market (grounding rods and systems). Thistechnology differs greatly in its size and shape to the existing technologies.

The current NFPA 70, National Electrical Code section250.52(A)(5) that is required to get a UL certification states that the minimumlength of a grounding rod is 8 ft. Our largest model is shorter than thatrequired length.
    Our technology is completely different, it would be likecomparing a television from the 80s to a new HD plasma tv.
    With all this, what is the best way to obtain the ULcertification? What are our possibilities to change the norm or standards? how long would this take? Who can we hire tohelp us with this?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you contact UL about what there standards are for a grounding electrode?
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, We have been working with a Lab here in Plano Tx - Inter tek and were about to start the safety testing, when they said that because the length is not 8ft long, regardless of the testing results, they could not give us UL certification because the NFPA code requires 8 ft long. we are not sure if this can be worked another way if we prove we are a better technology and do not have the need for 8 ft depth. any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenInn View Post
    yes, We have been working with a Lab here in Plano Tx - Inter tek and were about to start the safety testing, when they said that because the length is not 8ft long, regardless of the testing results, they could not give us UL certification because the NFPA code requires 8 ft long. we are not sure if this can be worked another way if we prove we are a better technology and do not have the need for 8 ft depth. any thoughts?
    The reality is that unless you are willing to push getting the alternate technology accepted by the NEC folks, you are out of luck. if it is a rod, it has to be at least 8 feet long to qualify as a grounding electrode by code. There is just no way around that.

I am curious what you could do to make the idea of a ground rod any better when ground rods as a whole are going the way of the dodo birds for most installations.

BTW, does anyone here actually use plate electrodes? I was thinking that a 2' long piece of 3" angle would appear to comply.
    Last edited by petersonra; 06-04-12 at 04:41 PM.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenInn View Post
    We have a patented new technology from and inventor thatworks and functions as a grounding device. This electrode has been provedsuccessful in over 8 countries and more than 2,000 locations.

This electrode is by far superior in many capabilities toany other currently available in the market (grounding rods and systems). Thistechnology differs greatly in its size and shape to the existing technologies.

The current NFPA 70, National Electrical Code section250.52(A)(5) that is required to get a UL certification states that the minimumlength of a grounding rod is 8 ft. Our largest model is shorter than thatrequired length.
    Our technology is completely different, it would be likecomparing a television from the 80s to a new HD plasma tv.
    With all this, what is the best way to obtain the ULcertification? What are our possibilities to change the norm or standards? how long would this take? Who can we hire tohelp us with this?

There is a proposal form in the back of every NFPA 70 (NEC) book. You can also get it online. You will need to get the NEC text modifed.
    Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the new technology/product tests and results the same as the 8' ground rod why shouldn't it replace or compliment the ground rod?
    Edward
    The only thing I know, is the progressive discovery of my ignorance

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only rod or pipe electrodes are required to be 8 ft. That being said, how can you patent a rod or a pipe?

So, if your miracle device is not a rod or a pipe, the 8 ft. requirement is moot.

If it is a plate there is no length requirement, just a surface area requirement, (2 square feet) and again, how can a plate be patented?

So what's that leave, a sphere?

I think the intent is to require a certain amount of surface contact with the earth, no matter what the design. I don't see how any testing could be done to prove an electrode lacking the required amount of surface would be as effective as one that has the required amount. That is just plain physics.

If your device is patented, you are protected against plagiarism by law. So, why didn't you give us the details? If we had the details, we would be in a better position to try to explain why the device may not be able to be listed.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post

BTW, does anyone here actually use plate electrodes? I was thinking that a 2' long piece of 3" angle would appear to comply.
    A piece of angle iron is not a plate. Folding the metal would encroach on the sphere of influence and make it much less effective.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is an interesting grounding device that does not appear to meet the minimum requirements. yet it is touted as "better" somehow.

http://www.oklahomadesigntech.com/saftelectroplate.html
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    here is an interesting grounding device that does not appear to meet the minimum requirements. yet it is touted as "better" somehow.

http://www.oklahomadesigntech.com/saftelectroplate.html
    Tout away, it's still a few square inches shy of being acceptable by the NEC.

Also, a twisted ribbon is not a plate and does not fall into any acceptable NEC electrode category unless it is listed.
    Last edited by K8MHZ; 06-04-12 at 05:03 PM.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky