commercial lighting calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When determining the load for a commercial lighting load a practice problem caculates the interior lighting as a continuos load. For example a 60,000sq.ft. store x 3va = 180,000va x 125% = 225,000. All of the practive problems are worked this way with no mention in the question regarding continuos aplication of the lights. So, my question is, should the 3va per sq.ft. always have 125% added to it for a test question that makes no mention of duration of use?

jumper

All the practice questions for commercial lighting loads I have done were calculated at 125% as a continuous load.

Added: all commercial loads not otherwise specified using T220.42.

Last edited:
I dont know, I dont see anything in the code that says I should always figure general lighting for commercial as a continous load. Have you been alble to find otherwise?

jumper

Aha, so I'm not crazy. And, this gives me a strategy, right or wrong. I'm gonna use 125% for commercial lighting on the master test. I hope that works. Thats how Stallcup dfoes it also. Feeling much better, thank for the help.

Last edited:

jumper

Aha, so I'm not crazy. And, this gives me a strategy, right or wrong. I'm gonna use 125% for commercial lighting on the master test. I hope that works.

Personally, that is what I would do, I hope it works for you. Good luck!

Remember T220.42 has demand factors for a few types of commercial lighting applications.

cadpoint

I thought you could not use an annex as gospel. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Actually, annex D shows all commercial lighting as a continuos load.

The 2011 errata is out, 2008 never came out. Lighting commerical is considered continual, and has been for years... :cool:

The annex is a guide and presents examples of accounting for electrical service. Anyones mileage will vary.

Electrical is much like Life one has to be accountable, weither one services the account or how ones services the gospel is a whole different story. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.