GFI price increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I was at my favorite big box hardware store :)roll:) and noticed the price of GFCI receptacles had gone up around $2/each overnight. So when I got home I logged into a local electrical supplier that I buy from and noticed their prices had gone up on GFCI's by about the same amount. Does this have something to do with tariffs? :?

chris1971

I was at my favorite big box hardware store :)roll:) and noticed the price of GFCI receptacles had gone up around $2/each overnight. So when I got home I logged into a local electrical supplier that I buy from and noticed their prices had gone up on GFCI's by about the same amount. Does this have something to do with tariffs? :?

Quite possibly true.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Possibly a drop in economy of scale since most new homes will not be using as many GFCI receptacles as they will use Dual Function breakers for the kitchen.

Why would you install a GFCI when a Dual function will do at about half the cost and no customer complaints that they don't know what a GFCI outlet looks like and to rest it.

peter d

As an addendum to this, I was also perusing the Christmas light display aisle and noticed that the projectors and other electronic gizmo lights had also increased in price by the same $2-3 as the GFCI's over last year. So just how broadly are these tariffs applied to electronic goods?

kwired

Electron manager
Possibly a drop in economy of scale since most new homes will not be using as many GFCI receptacles as they will use Dual Function breakers for the kitchen.

Why would you install a GFCI when a Dual function will do at about half the cost and no customer complaints that they don't know what a GFCI outlet looks like and to rest it.
That approach should mean that dual function breakers will go down in price - probably not happening.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
That approach should mean that dual function breakers will go down in price - probably not happening.

Dual function breakers are not made by the same manufacturer.
The whole economy of scale issue and AFCI was a big deal for the retired employee for Eaton (Engle) who posted a legitimate rant a few years back.

Because of the change from branch circuit AFCI to combination killed the economies of scale and the price stayed up. The new Combination AFCI version required new R&D .
Not my theory it was his.

kwired

Electron manager
Dual function breakers are not made by the same manufacturer.
The whole economy of scale issue and AFCI was a big deal for the retired employee for Eaton (Engle) who posted a legitimate rant a few years back.

Because of the change from branch circuit AFCI to combination killed the economies of scale and the price stayed up. The new Combination AFCI version required new R&D .
Not my theory it was his.
One must also factor in $$ spent convincing code making panels that use of your AFCI products is a code necessity and continued expenses to make sure they expand areas requiring use of them, oh and R &D to come up with things like the "combination AFCI" that now detects series and parallel faults - though you told us the previous product would do that:blink:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
One must also factor in $$ spent convincing code making panels that use of your AFCI products is a code necessity and continued expenses to make sure they expand areas requiring use of them, oh and R &D to come up with things like the "combination AFCI" that now detects series and parallel faults - though you told us the previous product would do that:blink:
Agreed, However we were never told that the Branch Circuit device would detect both series and parallel arc. I remember the flyer from SqD in 2002 which stated only parallel Arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.