Long Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Sure some( as they've said before) will say this is a dumb question but since never being the field I think it's a reasonable question.

So have 8 sets #750 AL going about 100' horizontal then rising up about 225' vert, then about 100' horz again. So about 425' total. It's switchgear feeding switchgear.

1. Should definitely splice these conductors at some point as I believe that would make the pull easier, correct?
2. What would the pulling scheme/setup be as far as equipment and where would it be placed? Reel jacks, tugger and pulleys I believe???
3. In riser runs like this what determines when to splice?

I sketched up a rough riser.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• RISER-min.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 0

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We did parallel runs of 750 AL 900' through 4-90's, no splices, 3 weeks ago.

If we can do that, this is a baby pull at 425'.

Bottom line, size the conduit right, don't run it like a rookie and put bends everywhere and there is a good chance it can get there in one piece.

mstrlucky74

We did parallel runs of 750 AL 900' through 4-90's, no splices, 3 weeks ago.

If we can do that, this is a baby pull at 425'.

Bottom line, size the conduit right, don't run it like a rookie and put bends everywhere and there is a good chance it can get there in one piece.

Love it...….TY!!!

jusme123

Occupation
JW
We had 900’ pulls of 4-600’s with no splices, we pulled one way 600 feet from pull box, than pulled 300’ off spools , made a pulling head than pulled the other way for the 300’. No issues, no splicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jusme123

Occupation
JW
We had 900’ pulls of 4-600’s COPPER WIRE with no splices, we pulled one way 600 feet from pull box, than pulled 300’ off spools , made a pulling head than pulled the other way for the 300’. No issues, no splicing.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
You will also need conductor supports in the vertical portion of the run, see table 300.19 A (every 95’ for 750’s)

JFletcher

Is this for 3000 amp switchgear? While you can use 3.5" conduit for a, b, c, and neutral, I would use 4in to make the pull easier, and to include a ground if necessary.

There is absolutely no way I would use splices on 24+ 750 MCM cables... And if you have a pull box that could accommodate all this unnecessary splicing, you have a pull box large enough to pull the conductors out after one or two 90s, get some slack in the wires, and then refeed them the rest of the way.

Feed from the top down, use plenty of wire Lube, use a heavy bull rope, keep the wire in a warm space the day before if possible, put as few 90s in as possible, and no kicks, and perhaps most importantly, make sure your wires are long enough... Every 4 inch 90 is going to take up roughly 6 feet of wire.

mstrlucky74

Is this for 3000 amp switchgear? While you can use 3.5" conduit for a, b, c, and neutral, I would use 4in to make the pull easier, and to include a ground if necessary.

There is absolutely no way I would use splices on 24+ 750 MCM cables... And if you have a pull box that could accommodate all this unnecessary splicing, you have a pull box large enough to pull the conductors out after one or two 90s, get some slack in the wires, and then refeed them the rest of the way.

Feed from the top down, use plenty of wire Lube, use a heavy bull rope, keep the wire in a warm space the day before if possible, put as few 90s in as possible, and no kicks, and perhaps most importantly, make sure your wires are long enough... Every 4 inch 90 is going to take up roughly 6 feet of wire.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.