Branch circuit and feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC article 210.25 states that branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within the dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

My question is, in a commercial office building with common hallways, does the NEC have an article stating that you could not run branch circuits and feeders through offices exposed since there is no common ceilings or drop ceilings to separate the feeders and circuits from that particular suite. So in other words can you run a feeder and branch circuits from a common electrical room on the 1st floor through another suite, through the floor to the 2nd floor through another suite, through the floor to the 3rd floor and through 3 other suites to get to the location that requires the feeders and the branch circuits.

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A commercial space wouldn't be within a dwelling unit so 210.25 would not apply.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think the OP was merely citing 210.25 as an example.

This situation seems very familiar to me, and I think there is an article that addresses it. But I was not able to find it. I recall discussions about routing one tenant's conductors through another tenant's space. A discussion arose regarding the wall between two tenant spaces, and whether running a feeder through that wall would violate the rule. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

NEC article 210.25 states that branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within the dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

My question is, in a commercial office building with common hallways, does the NEC have an article stating that you could not run branch circuits and feeders through offices exposed since there is no common ceilings or drop ceilings to separate the feeders and circuits from that particular suite. So in other words can you run a feeder and branch circuits from a common electrical room on the 1st floor through another suite, through the floor to the 2nd floor through another suite, through the floor to the 3rd floor and through 3 other suites to get to the location that requires the feeders and the branch circuits.

My concern is, is having power in junction boxes in someone else's suites. This means a fault or other problems could arise or even a fire without anybody noticing.

What would happen if there was a problem with the feeder and you can't get into that suite. Or a fire breaks out you kill all the power in that particular suite but you could have live circuits in that room and not know it.

Also this leaves liability for someone to tie into someone else's power not knowing where the power is coming from or where to turn it off at. Do you think this could be a major problem

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My concern is, is having power in junction boxes in someone else's suites. This means a fault or other problems could arise or even a fire without anybody noticing.

What would happen if there was a problem with the feeder and you can't get into that suite. Or a fire breaks out you kill all the power in that particular suite but you could have live circuits in that room and not know it.

Also this leaves liability for someone to tie into someone else's power not knowing where the power is coming from or where to turn it off at. Do you think this could be a major problem

According to the NEC unless this is in a dwelling none of your scenarios are of any concern. Regardless of where the circuit originates or runs through the OCPD should protect it properly.

Thanks for the feed back. This cleared up a lot of questions. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.