Meter Socket location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse7623

I have an underground fed meter socket, that the site electrical contractor just so happened to bring up in a location that puts the meter directly below a window. This window is large enough that the fire marshall may say that it is considered a second means of emergency egress. I have the choice now to bend the pipes and move it a little. Would this be prudent or overkill? Thanks, And Happy 4th of July.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It would be an odd location for a meter, I can't say I have ever seen a meter under a window, because in my areas meters at set at 5-7 ft above grade to the center of the meter. I would recommend moving it over.

In my jurisdiction, the Fire Marshal does not inspect 1&2 family dwelling structures, otherwise they generally inspect structures to NFPA 101.
Consult with your local building code if there may be some restrictions to maintaining the itegrity of the second means of egress.
Otherwise, if there are no overhead service conductors involved, I see no problem per NEC 230.9, as ptonsparky pointed out.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as the meter impeding escape from the structure, if the window does not open it is usually not considered a place of egress.

M

MadWulf

Fire Marshall may have some requirements, but usually the utility has its own set of rules regarding clearances around their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.