Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is a spinoff of this thread:
https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=195421

Taking into consideration Exception 2 to 210.52(B)(1) and the definition of "Branch Circuit, Individual," is it allowable to use a 15 amp circuit to serve a duplex outlet located behind, and intended to power, the fridge?

Many of us have commented on this topic before. Many have said that if you use a simplex you are compliant, but if you use a duplex you will be outside the definition. The reasoning I have read is that a duplex receptacle comprises two "outlets." I am no longer certain that a duplex could not be used in this situation. My reasoning is that the definition says that the circuit serves "only one utilization equipment." It does not say "only one outlet." The other half of a duplex located behind the fridge is essentially useless. I submit that that receptacle is only serving "one utilization equipment," namely the fridge.

By the way, I will be opening a new thread in Campfire Chat to describe our wiring woes.

I am submitting this now because we are undergoing a total kitchen remodel. It has evolved into a 100% rewiring project for the kitchen. I have not asked the electrician what he plans to use to feed the fridge. He has already installed the outlet box in the wall, and I am willing to bet he is not planning to install a simplex. But I don't know whether he is planning to use a 15 or 20 amp breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
FWIW, '17 has different wording for the exception:
Exception No. 2: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, a receptacle outlet to serve a specific appliance shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

It does, however, still use the word "receptacle outlet (singular) which would seem to support a simplex outlet IMO.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Gus, I will counter that by saying that nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, ever uses the plural "receptacles," when talking about a duplex.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Gus, I will counter that by saying that nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, ever uses the plural "receptacles," when talking about a duplex.

I agree and I imagine a huge percentage of the installs have a duplex...and I have never rejected the instal,l but I think the actaul wording calls for a simplex.

Leespark57

I just want to mention that Massachusetts has an amendment which covers this:

"210.21(B). Insert a new fifth paragraph as follows:
(5) Receptacles on Individual Branch Circuits. A receptacle outlet installed to comply with a requirement for an individual branch circuit shall contain a single receptacle, or a multiple receptacle if, and then only to the extent that, the supplied equipment includes multiple supply cord connections. "

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I just want to mention that Massachusetts has an amendment which covers this:

"210.21(B). Insert a new fifth paragraph as follows:
(5) Receptacles on Individual Branch Circuits. A receptacle outlet installed to comply with a requirement for an individual branch circuit shall contain a single receptacle, or a multiple receptacle if, and then only to the extent that, the supplied equipment includes multiple supply cord connections. "
Have to read that a couple of times for it to sink in but makes sense (maybe because it supports my thoughts :D)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Do you have a spec book you will give to the contractor?
Is that question for me, Tom? If so, then my answer is "of course not." We have a contract with a GC who runs his own company. He started out as a plumber, and still has that license, so he will do the plumbing tasks himself. He has sub-contracted an electrician who has worked with him for a long time on many projects. There are two others who have done the demolition and surface-preparation for the new flooring. We are very impressed so far.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Have to read that a couple of times for it to sink in but makes sense (maybe because it supports my thoughts :D)
It doesn't support your interpretation of the unamended NEC, since Massachusetts at least thought the amendment was required in order to force individual branch circuits to use simplex receptacles.

Cheers, Wayne

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I'll prefer to think they passed the ordinance to authenticate it :)

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Where does it say that an individual branch circuit can supply only one receptacle or one outlet? The definition states that it only supplies one utilization equipment. No mention of how many receptacles or outlets it can supply. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.