NEC 240.24 Guestroom Panel Requirement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparras

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could request some knowledge from experience or opinions on an issue that has arisen for a project out in TN. I am being told that I am required to have sub-panels installed in each hotel room that has a permanent direct wire cooktop installed due to the building department's interpretation of NEC 240.24. Essentially, due to their being permanent cooking provisions in place, they argue each guest requires access to the over current protection devices. For reference, this is generally small three-story hotel with no permanent residency.

It was my first time receiving a comment like this so I reached out to my mentor. It would have been the end of my inquiry into it but he is a master electrician and electrical engineer, and he stated that he hadn't heard of that requirement in all his years of experience. Have any other electrical professionals come across this? Thank you for your time!

Below is the code for faster reference.

(B) Occupancy. Each occupant shall have ready access to
all overcurrent devices protecting the conductors supplying
that occupancy, unless otherwise permitted in 240.24(B)(1)
and (B)(2).

(1) Service and Feeder Overcurrent Devices. Where
electric service and electrical maintenance are provided by
the building management and where these are under continuous
building management supervision, the service overcurrent
devices and feeder overcurrent devices supplying more than
one occupancy shall be permitted to be accessible only to
authorized management personnel in the following:
(1) Multiple-occupancy buildings
(2) Guest rooms or guest suites

(2) Branch-Circuit Overcurrent Devices. Where electric
service and electrical maintenance are provided by the
building management and where these are under continuous
building management supervision, the branch-circuit
overcurrent devices supplying any guest rooms or guest
suites without permanent provisions for cooking shall be
permitted to be accessible only to authorized management
personnel.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
How many circuits (i.e., breaker positions) are needed for each unit? Perhaps a 60 amp, 12 circuit panel would suffice for each unit.

jparras

How many circuits (i.e., breaker positions) are needed for each unit? Perhaps a 60 amp, 12 circuit panel would suffice for each unit.

The guestrooms don't exceed 500sqft. A 12 circuit panel is sufficient. I guess my concern regarding cost is not so much under my control but you know how owners and project managers are when it comes to the budget!

Gary11734

I hope this is a preliminary or pre-bid.

A big change from a couple of circuits in the guestroom to 12 circuit panels to cover the code requirement for cooking.

Adamjamma

do they make a 6 or 8 circuit panel cheaply? I mean, figure 2 spots in, for the main breaker, 2 spots out for a cooker, then 2 small appliance circuits since it now is a kitchen/dining... and then a lighting and an outlet circuit... so I get 8 total circuits but... only about fifty amps...max.

jparras

I hope this is a preliminary or pre-bid.

A big change from a couple of circuits in the guestroom to 12 circuit panels to cover the code requirement for cooking.

Oh it was certainly already bid on so I expect there will be some blow back over this. The new amount of electrical equipment will not be a trivial cost. Luckily it isn't on me, this got tossed on my desk after that process.

jparras

do they make a 6 or 8 circuit panel cheaply? I mean, figure 2 spots in, for the main breaker, 2 spots out for a cooker, then 2 small appliance circuits since it now is a kitchen/dining... and then a lighting and an outlet circuit... so I get 8 total circuits but... only about fifty amps...max.

I think I'm going with a recessed 60A 12 space panel. I've recalculated the first floor and on average I'm at 30A over 8 circuits. 12 gives me room for expansion as required by the brand.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That really makes it a dwelling unit triggering the requirements for AFCIs and two small appliance branch circuits, among other dwelling unit requirements.

Gary11734

Oh it was certainly already bid on so I expect there will be some blow back over this. The new amount of electrical equipment will not be a trivial cost. Luckily it isn't on me, this got tossed on my desk after that process.

You have gone from panels in the hallway or vertical from the ground to Min. service size to each room. And, as Don stated earlier, they could tell you it's a dwelling now with all the requirements. Try finding a receptacle in a hotel. This would have one every 12'!

Gary11734

Best thing to do here, if I was the owner, PULL the cooking out of the drawings!

Show a 20 amp outlet in the area of the vanity for a "Hair Dryer" . Well, they supply hot plates you can plug in. Hey look, here is an outlet...

Status
Not open for further replies.