Help me find this code reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have seen some language in the NEC... somewhere... that directs us to bond the grounded (not the grounding) conductor to an enclosure in some situation(s), but now I cannot find it. Anyone know where it is?

Help, not Heko; ko is next to lp. :D

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have seen some language in the NEC... somewhere... that directs us to bond the grounded (not the grounding) conductor to an enclosure in some situation(s), but now I cannot find it. Anyone know where it is?

Help, not Heko; ko is next to lp. :D

Are you maybe thinking of 250.92?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.24(B) addresses bonding service enclosures to the grounded conductor and 250.142 lists the uses where a grounded conductor can be used for equipment grounding.

ggunn

Occupation
Are you maybe thinking of 250.92?

No. The section I am recalling specifically requires the grounded conductor (usually the neutral) to be bonded to an enclosure. I believe it came up in one of the protracted discussions about whether a supply side connected PV system should be considered a separate service connection.

ggunn

Occupation
250.24(B) addresses bonding service enclosures to the grounded conductor and 250.142 lists the uses where a grounded conductor can be used for equipment grounding.

That's sort of it but not exactly. Perhaps the reason I cannot find it in my 2014 codebook is that I am remembering it from 2011 and it got changed.

But thanks; 250.142 shows that what an AHJ is requiring of us (grounding a tap box on the line side of a service by bonding it to the neutral) is permitted.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might take a look at 250.80 although I'd have used 250.92 as ggunn suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.