Upgrade Requirements Across Codes (NFPA 72 & 70)

Status
Not open for further replies.

msimms

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an issue that has risen from a local fire department rep. He's claiming that since we are upgrading certain areas of a residence to 2008 NEC (that's the local code), we now have to implement 2010 fire codes as well (NFPA 72), such as smoke detectors in each bedroom unit. Not that I don't have a problem for safety considerations, but I have never heard of this cross-functionality of code compliance and wanted to verify, for my information and verify costs.

I have heard of new upgrades requiring full NEC compliance if a percentage of work of the unit is performed, but never has it crossed into other code.

Thoughts? feedback?

bphgravity

The scope of work for an existing building is usually regulated by the building code, such as the International Existing Building Code. The classificaiton of work as determined by this code will determine what other standards and "upgrades" will have to be made.

For the most part, alterations of any kind (1, 2, & 3), additions, & change of occupancy will invoke NFPA 72 requirements in ragard to smoke alarms. Minor repair and/or remodeling of a space or area "like-for"like" may not invoke additional criteria.

bphgravity

ALSO, if your state or local jurisdicition has adopted the IRC, you may want to refer to this section:

R314.3.1 Alterations, repairs and additions. When alterations, repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, or when one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings.

Exceptions:
1. Work involving the exterior surfaces of dwellings, such as the replacement of roofing or siding, or the addition or replacement of windows or doors, or the addition of a porch or deck, are exempt from the requirements of this section.
2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or mechanical systems are exempt from the requirements of this section.

AND this section regarding CO ALARMS:

R315.2 Where required in existing dwellings. Where work requiring a permit occurs in existing dwellings that have attached garages or in existing dwellings within which fuel-fired appliances exist, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in accordance with Section R315.1.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have an issue that has risen from a local fire department rep. He's claiming that since we are upgrading certain areas of a residence to 2008 NEC (that's the local code), we now have to implement 2010 fire codes as well (NFPA 72), such as smoke detectors in each bedroom unit. Not that I don't have a problem for safety considerations, but I have never heard of this cross-functionality of code compliance and wanted to verify, for my information and verify costs.

I have heard of new upgrades requiring full NEC compliance if a percentage of work of the unit is performed, but never has it crossed into other code.

Thoughts? feedback?

I did a panel change out a while back and got rejected by the inspector. I was required to add smokes but only had to use the battery operated ones because I wasn't changing any of the circuits or service. I put them in all the bedrooms and common area of the bedrooms but I forgot to put one in the basement.:slaphead:
You have to go by local rules that may cross over to fire/building codes when you pull a permit and get an inspection.

msimms

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That's fine. I wanted to develop a connection to whether codes interacted with each other, even if only one is being referenced. Our focus on this project was removing old knob and tube wiring, replacing 2-wire outlets with 3-wire, pulling new conductor for ground, AFCI and GFCI additions, and a lot more that weren't in sync with the 2008 NEC. Dwellings would be left the same way otherwise, so that's why I didn't expect NFPA 72 to make an appearance. Thanks again guys.

pfalcon

Thoughts? feedback?

Simple answer: NFPA72 makes residential fire alarms part of the electrical system. You are upgrading the electrical system and the alarms are a part of it. Even if they weren't a part of it before.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here in CA if you do $1000 or more of work that would require a permit you would be required to install smoke alarms.

It has actually been required since 1985 that every home have smoke alarms, but there would be no way to verify that.

It is also now a state law that carbon monoxide alarms be installed in every single family dwelling, with the same $1000 threshold.

John120/240

the battery operated ones because I wasn't changing any of the circuits or service. I put them in all the bedrooms and common area of the bedrooms but I forgot to put one in the basement

Battery only huh...Is there a wireless interconnect ? If one goes off you should

be able to hear it in the adjoining bedrooms anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.