User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One Lug One Cable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Lug One Cable

I have been in a constat arguement with my boss that one set of lugs on a MEP 806 B TQG generator can only have one conductor per lug. I have been trying to find the code to back it up and all I could find was 110.14 (A) "Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified" Since the lugs are not identified as having the capability of accepting more than one conductor I thought the arguement would end there but it turns out I need more ammo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalx View Post
    I have been in a constat arguement with my boss that one set of lugs on a MEP 806 B TQG generator can only have one conductor per lug. I have been trying to find the code to back it up and all I could find was 110.14 (A) "Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified" Since the lugs are not identified as having the capability of accepting more than one conductor I thought the arguement would end there but it turns out I need more ammo.
    It is pretty clear what it says. How much more ammo do you need?
    Bob

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Have your boss read this thread. Terminals must be identified for use with 2 wires- that simple
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aluminum to copper

He says that since the article makes mention of aluminum to copper connection that its relevance cannot be transposed to the number of conductors to a lug. Basically, he is of the opinion that if there's room than another conductor can be inserted. My concern, and I believe it to be valid, is that if you jam 2 stripped 1 AWG conductors into one lug there is no guarantee that you will have a good bond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He says that since the article makes mention of aluminum to copper connection that its relevance cannot be transposed to the number of conductors to a lug. Basically, he is of the opinion that if there's room than another conductor can be inserted. My concern, and I believe it to be valid, is that if you jam 2 stripped 1 AWG conductors into one lug there is no guarantee that you will have a good bond.
    he is just wrong.

having said that, he is also the boss.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to breakdown the code requirement to full understand it. There are two statements in the one sentence.

Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

Unless the terminal is identified for more than one conductor, then only one conductor is allowed.
    The other half is unless it is identified for use with aluminum, it can only be used for copper.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to brush up on his reading.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From UL White Book:

WIRE CONNECTORS AND SOLDERING

LUGS (ZMVV)

PRODUCT MARKINGS AND RATINGS
    Wire size and wire combinations Wire connectors are rated for 30
    AWG or larger copper conductors and/or 12 AWG or larger aluminum conductors.
    The wire size, wire range or wire combinations are marked on the
    connector, or on or within the unit container. Wire connectors additionally
    investigated for metric size conductors are marked with the metric wire
    sizes expressed in mm2.
    Multiple conductors Connectors generally accommodate a single conductor
    under a clamping mechanism unless otherwise identified, such as
    with the number of conductors located parenthetically in front of the wire
    size or range. Some connectors may have a single conductor wire range as
    well as a second multiple conductor wire range. Some connectors, such as
    twist-on connectors, will have multiple conductors expressed in a list of
    wire combinations.

Parallel conductors Connectors intended for paralleling of conductors
    are intended to be used in accordance with Clause 310.4 of the NEC. Parallel
    connectors may have multiple conductor clamping mechanisms, each
    accepting a single conductor or a singular clamping mechanism accepting
    multiple conductors.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkb View Post
    You need to breakdown the code requirement to full understand it. There are two statements in the one sentence.

Unless the terminal is identified for more than one conductor, then only one conductor is allowed.
    The other half is unless it is identified for use with aluminum, it can only be used for copper.
    I agree, this possibly should be written as two sentences, just because of someone mistaking it the way it apparently has been, but I also don't see it too hard to understand either.

Or they could replace the "and" with "as well as" and maybe it is more clear. After all adding a second sentence will just end up adding another page to the NEC and there are too many as it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I agree, this possibly should be written as two sentences, just because of someone mistaking it the way it apparently has been, but I also don't see it too hard to understand either.

Or they could replace the "and" with "as well as" and maybe it is more clear. After all adding a second sentence will just end up adding another page to the NEC and there are too many as it is
    Having a subject (terminals) both before and after the 'and' makes the sentence grammatically correct. The conditions stated apply only to their respective subjects.

However, I agree it could be written better. Perhaps...
    Terminals shall be identified for use with:
    • more than one conductor
    • aluminum conductor(s)
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.